Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Green is Not a Creative Colour

Post by Lawrence on Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:06 am

It turned out that the only thing in that bush was a tiny little squirrel with a fluffy tail, and Lawrence breathed a sigh of relief. Thank goodness it had only been a normal little rodent rather than anything nastier. Still, with that surprise discovered and found harmless, he moved on towards that river.

Sure enough, his estimate was right, five more minutes of walking and there the river was. The sound of the water was rather soothing, but Lawrence was still lost, and had no idea where Zurg could have gone. He watched the water to figure out the direction it was flowing in, then started following downstream, knowing it would eventually lead out of the forest.

As he walked, his thoughts began to wander. What if this river would lead him all the way to the ocean? Not only that, but what if it lead him so far it would be impossible to find Zurg or the city? There was one thing he could try, but dare he attempt it all by himself, without the monarch's voice to guide him? Lawrence wasn't sure he would have woken up on his own from the last try, given it had taken a poke from Zurg's spear to rouse him. It was risky to be sure, but given there were few other options that were as promising, it seemed he would have to give it a try.

The ex-robot placed the wrapped carcass on the ground beside him and let his eyes drift shut, focusing on Listening once again . . . hopefully this would allow him to find Zurg, before something hostile wandered along and decided he would be easy pickings while he was unaware.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:33 am

A dangerous, but inventive, choice... Think to Listen and see what you heard, Lawrence? This task will not be so easy as your last attempt. Zurg was not around to pull you out of a deep slumber, should you fall into one, and your position was vulnerable. To make matters worse, the river was producing a heavy amount of white noise. Even though you could vaguely make out the pulses of nearby creatures and felt the rain dance upon your skin, your intended target was far more elusive. Indeed, tracking a person proved far harder than Listening for a simple beast. A new body meant new drawbacks and yours, unfortunately, limited you to an infantile state. However...

Although not much, there was a faint ripple not too far from your current location. Tender and weak, it came from the northwest. The source could be anything, both friend and foe, but it was the only lead you had. If you could resist resting your eyes for a few moments longer and ignore the itching at the back of your mind, finding your new objection may be worthwhile... Just remember one thing, Lawrence.

It could be anything.

In unity, before the Nine, I softly speak in #669999.
    But, in One's animosity, I hold command in #99FF00.
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:03 pm

Perhaps Listening right there next to the river was not the greatest of ideas, as the white noise it introduced was nearly too much for Lawrence to sort through. There was the same feeling of the rain, and faint traces of the wildlife, but finding a person amidst the chaos was proving impossible at best.

The itching in the back of his mind felt a bit more insistent this time, it was harder to resist its call but the butler kept himself as focused as he could. Who knew what would happen if he gave in? Well, Zurg probably did, and just from his tone earlier, doing so would likely have terrible consequences.

Wait, what was that, off to the northwest? Something was there, but as with the beast they killed, there was no way of telling just what it was. Lawrence broke the contact, struggling to keep his fatigue from dragging him down any further. Luckily that river was right next to him, and while it took some doing, he was able to splash his face with some of the water. That helped, but not as much as taking a drink had earlier. There was no drinking this water, though; there were probably parasites and other nasties his system couldn't handle yet.

Still, he got to his feet, once again secured the kill over his back, and started heading in the direction he sensed something. Ironically, Lawrence almost hoped it wasn't Zurg . . . as weak as that pulse was, if it were the monarch that might mean he was badly injured. Perhaps the river's white noise was playing tricks on him . . .

Lawrence moved on, not sure what might lay ahead but with no other leads there really wasn't much choice but to find out what it was he sensed.
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:20 am

Do not Listen for too long... Soon you will not have enough stamina to even carry your kill back into civilization. To the northwest lied your destination, although obscured and left to fate. It was past a thick barrier of thorny bushes and stubborn branches, where once more the sun was hidden from the leafy canopy above. It was cold here, it was quiet here... The fog had not lifted and may not for a long while. Still you wish to continue?

Spoiler:

Nothing but tall and proud trees greeted you, but considering your alternatives... This was a welcomed surprise. Now, to find that pulse... Do you smell it, Lawrence? A sharp, faintly metallic scent reached your senses. With every inhale you could taste it, skin prickling. You may not be aware, Lawrence, but that was the smell of...

"L-Lawrence...? Is that you?" an exhausted voice called out to you. Coughing followed suit and your were hailed a second time. "Look up, to your right. Ah, there you go..." It was none other than Zurg, hiding up quite high off the forest ground. He was currently taking refuge in one of the tall redwoods, his red eyes gleaming in the distance. "Managed to outrun that dreadful bear, did you? Good, good. You took off faster than I could devour a bag of shrimp. Stay there, I'm coming down." Some noise and a bit of cursing later, the monarch reached a comfortable point and hopped down, dirt lightly filling the air upon impact.

He came from the hazy mists and approached, fanning a swarm of gnats aside. "How are you holding up?" Zurg asked. They had been separated for a good while and the monarch was genuinely concerned. "I'd hate to think that you Listened in order to find me, but I doubt you had a better choice. Well done. I'm glad to have avoided seeing your comatose body somewhere within the ferns." And then you saw it - silverish splotches that had stained the monarch's right arm. The smell from before filled your senses.

Blood.

"We need to get going," Zurg advised. "At this rate we're going to get eaten ourselves, so follow me. I'm more experienced in Listening and tracking than you are. You just cover me and keep your eyes peeled; I never did see where that bear went." It could be anywhere, for all he knew.

Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:25 pm

Lawrence had to cut a path for himself through the bushes with his x'leliiq in places, as thick as they were. It would have slowed down that bear for certain, if Zurg had gone running that direction. Soon enough the butler managed to get himself through the brambles and into something of a clearing, filled with tall trees. He looked up at them in wonder for a moment, never having seen trees quite as tall as they were before, but then something in the air caught his attention.

That scent . . . it seemed vaguely familiar somehow, but it was so much stronger to his new senses that it wasn't properly connecting with a memory. It was unpleasant, whatever it was, given how his body was reacting. Still, despite that it was also something else to follow, and it was leading in the same direction his Listening pointed.

He kept walking through the clearing, and soon enough, his persistence was rewarded. Zurg's voice sounded from above, it took a bit of hinting but Lawrence eventually spotted him up in a tree. Hmm, maybe that had something to do with why that pulse had seemed so weak, Listening seemed to be related to contact with the ground . . . the less connected something was to the ground, the weaker the signal? He endured the sound of some X'rghthu cursing as the monarch made his way down from the tree.

At the question of how he was holding up, Lawrence let loose a ragged sigh. "I am quite tired, but otherwise all right. And yes, I Listened again, there was no choice otherwise . . . at least I was fortunate enough to find you instead of the bear."

It was there that the smell from earlier hit him again, far stronger than before. Then he saw it, the silver splotches on Zurg's right arm. A memory rose from the depths... The monarch, no, the Evil Emperor, lying in the ruins of a lab in Factory Zeta, unconscious and badly injured; the same scent of X'rghthu blood registering strongly across his olfactory sensors...

Lawrence shook the memory off as Zurg continued speaking, managing to nip the undercurrent of panic in the bud but could not do the same for his concern. Even though there was far less bleeding this time, the scent seemed so much stronger. "Zurg, if you haven't tended to your injuries, we should take a moment to do so before moving on . . . you may be more experienced in Listening, but blood loss will only add to your exhaustion. I could likely carry you out of here, but I would rather not have to."

Even while speaking, he kept his horns 'peeled' for any sign of that bear returning, or for something else that felt like having a snack...
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:15 am

Oh yes, the bear... "If all goes well and we're lucky - " Ugh. " - then we won't have to worry about our furry friend. With the way I was weaving in and out of foliage, I doubt it's going to find the reward well worth the trouble. But I am glad to see that you are in one piece and not maimed out in some unnamed clearing." Imagine telling that one to Jo. With Lawrence still in good shape and quite capable of continuing, the monarch found his wound negligible. He dismissed his friend's concern with a hand, Zurg not bothered by a throbbing flesh wound. "I'll have to get it disinfected, yes; but give it a bit of time and the blood will coagulate. Stopping now to patch ourselves up might reopen a window of vulnerability for roaming predators." Like more bears, yes? Their kill also wasn't getting any fresher.

Zurg took point this time, slightly hobbling but otherwise trekking strong. "Although we don't have a map and we can't tell our position with no sun, we're perfectly fine." At least Zurg thought so. He paused for a moment, holding up a fist to signal the sudden halt. "Give me a moment," he requested. The monarch then proceeded to crouch forward, one of his broad hands pressed against the damp, moist earth.

...An eerie silence followed.

But it came and it went, just as with everything. Zurg soon had what he wanted and rose, changing directions to head due southwest. "That's the greatest thing about cities," he said, ducking underneath a sweeping branch. "The more people in them, the louder their Noise. The forest's edge shouldn't be too far from here." Hopefully they'll be able to leave this accursed place before nightfall...

Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:12 am

Lawrence still kind of wanted to protest Zurg not tending to his wound, but then again, the faster they got out of these woods, the faster they would be able to take care of things. That didn't mean he had to like it, though. "Well, if you insist. I want you to take care of that the moment we arrive at home, though..."

He followed Zurg, trying to keep from reacting at the monarch's hobbling. How badly injured was Zurg, anyway? Lawrence didn't get the chance to ask as the alien came to a stop, and crouched down to Listen for a direction himself. Dutiful as ever, the butler stood guard over his friend while he was indisposed, spear ready to lash out at anything that might want to attack them.

No attack came, and Zurg stood back up after that long moment of silence, quickly picking out the direction they needed to go. Lawrence was more than a little amazed at that, as he wasn't too far from here the last time he tried it and had no idea Portal City was in that direction. "You can tell where the city is, just from the amount of Noise it gives off? It is too bad I will only have this form for the rest of the week . . . it would have been interesting to see if my own skills with this ability could come anywhere close to yours."
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:35 pm

"As opposed to me possibly losing a limb?" The monarch had a little chuckle at that, finding Lawrence's downplayed concern touching. Of course he was going to clean up that nasty wound once he got back home! Jo would have a conniption, if he didn't. "I have a medicine kit back at the house; it'll do what I need and then some." Painfully, however... Shots were never the monarch's favourite.

Lawrence wrote:"You can tell where the city is, just from the amount of Noise it gives off?"
    Hmm? Zurg glanced over his shoulder for a second, mulling over to Lawrence's question while keeping a watchful eye on their surroundings. "It's... not as glorious as it sounds, actually," he found himself clarifying. Listening certainly came in handy, yes. It came with many advantages but, as with every coin, there existed another side. "Sure, it's useful for situational SNAFUs such as our current predicament, but you try hearing the Eighth everyday of your waking life. Now you wonder why I try to wear footwear as much as possible." Imagine it, Lawrence. That incessant itching - never giving you a moment's rest. Welcome to the monarch's life, a man cherishing every single opportunity he had where his feet remained off the ground. "Alas, you may temporarily share my genetics, and thus my aptitude for Listening, but it would take you decades to reach my level of proficiency." That was not shameless boasting, either. "Graces are relentlessly disciplined in the art of Listening by skillful masters; even if I could train you, Lawrence, my tutelage would pale in comparison to a renowned Listener." In short, Zurg was still but the student.

Despite this shortcoming, though, Lawrence could most likely grasp the Listening basics. He may be only able to sense Noise in terms of meters, but that was still a decent footing in the right direction. And speaking of the right direction... They had chanced upon another clearing, this one eerily hushed. There was a noticeably large weeping willow in its center. Zurg stopped with a raised fist and refrained from taking another step forward, at the moment content to remain hidden in the woods.

"Wait, wait..." he whispered quietly.

Spoiler:

Although serene and bewitching, there was something... wrong with this verdant pocket. Zurg couldn't quite put a purple finger on it, but he placed faith in his senses. "Hmm... It could be nothing," the monarch eventually realized. One did not get far without a little caution, however... "Let's keep moving, Lawrence, but don't go into the meadow. I've got a bad feeling about it."

Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:31 pm

Even when Lawrence wasn't actively Listening, that insistent itch in the back of his mind was still there, faintly. It was different from the static he was forced to listen to by SIR and Tesla, but was reminiscent enough that it made him kind of uneasy. At least that static went away eventually, this sounded like it wouldn't stop unless you weren't contacting the ground at all. "Hmm, you have my sympathies . . . the novelty is starting to wear off, I'll admit that. As for it taking decades to become as skilled as you, I had a feeling that might be the case . . . even in my own universe, abilities like this often take a lifetime to truly master."

The two of them kept walking, Zurg leading the way and Lawrence still lugging the kill, at least until they came to the edge of a a strange, fog covered clearing. There was a huge weeping willow in the center of the meadow, but while one would expect to hear birds chirping from its branches, it was oddly silent. The entire meadow was strangely silent, and if Lawrence had any hairs on the back of his neck, they'd probably be standing on end. "That tree..."

The butler didn't go into the meadow, he knew far better than that, but there was still a certain curiosity that plagued him. Against his better judgement, he reached down and plucked a random stick from the ground, and then threw it in the general direction of that strange willow. He wasn't aiming to hit it, he just wanted to have the stick land close to the willow...
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:26 pm

Yes, that tree. Zurg gave it one last tentative glance and thought no more of the willow and the bad feeling accompanying it. "Never mind it," he said. "We have a city to rendezvous with. Let's keep goi - Lawrence, wait!" But it was too late. The monarch's reaction was too sluggish and his hand completely missed its grasp. A coin had been flipped, a die cast. Whatever Lawrence had done, his stick lobbed itself in a crooked arc and landed, without ceremony, before the base of the large and ominous willow. If there was ever a time Zurg found it fitting to hold his breath for fear of backlash, this was surely it. He stood there and waited - waited for whatever unspeakable horror happened next.

Nothing. Nothing had happened and he finally exhaled. A relieved expression took hold of him but it was shortly replaced with a stern glower. "Lawrence, let's not tempt our luck any more than we have, shall we?" No, can't say the monarch sounded particularly thrilled with his friend's glaring lack of consideration. It was by some stroke of fortune that neither of them had suffered.

"Come on. The sooner we get out of this place, the sooner you can wash up and the sooner I can de-stress." Zurg, a little bolder now, openly stepped foot into the meadow and continued on his merry way.

Butterfly Effect: flip a coin

--HIT, every action has a reaction
    --MISS, Diceor must really love you...

Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:06 pm

Lawrence flinched at Zurg's reaction, the monarch's stern tone sounding so much worse when heard through a pair of horns. He wondered if that had anything to do with his friend being a Grace as well . . . his new body had already unconsciously responded to some of the subliminal cues Zurg gave off, perhaps that was why hearing disappointment kind of made him want to go hide out of shame.

Really, why had he done that? It was one thing to try and flush out an enemy but it was just a stupid tree. Nothing too suspicious about a tree, right?

Nothing had happened, but that didn't mean the butler wasn't feeling badly chagrined over it. Lawrence averted his gaze to the ground as he responded. "I-- I apologize. It was in hopes of foiling a possible ambush, but there truly was nothing here..."

He still didn't really want to go any closer to the tree, but since Zurg decided the area was safe, the butler followed closely behind. He couldn't trust his own reactions presently, or at least it seemed that way.
    System
    Portal Master

Portal Master

Level : ??

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    100000/100000  (100000/100000)
    Health Bar:
    Stamina Bar:

Post by System on Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:06 pm

The member 'Lawrence' has done the following action : Dice Rolls

'Coin Flip' :
    Zurg
    Administrator

Administrator

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Zurg on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:00 pm

There, there. Zurg had only sounded harsh out of nothing but concerned love, Lawrence. He really didn't want any harm coming to you, for such an unfortunate event would surely be traumatic. "I understand, but do not trouble yourself; it will be hard for something to ambush me." But he was going to regret those words, wasn't he? While Lawrence's action had not directly influenced anything around them, it did cause a small flock of birds to become disturbed. The monarch had to pause, watching the feathery flock take off and really thought nothing of it. Birds will be birds, after all. "Hmph... Ah well." Nothing to really -

"Hrrrrrgh..."

...worry about.

The monarch didn't even have enough time to whirl around; a heavy limb, complete with matted fur, blindsided Zurg. He was immediately swept off both legs, the monarch painfully sent heels over horns. With him out of the way, the bear from before completely lunged free from the concealing bush and rose to its hindlegs. "HAUUUUURGH!" Lawrence, it wanted you and your kill!

Fury in its brown eyes and a snarl in full effect, the bear fell back upon all fours, body shaking with raw power, and charged. If you were going to make your stand then it was now, Lawrence! Raise your spear and fight!

You Dun Goofed: defeat the bear!

HP: 300/300
    Die Tier: Level 60

System
    Portal Master

Portal Master

Level : ??

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    Health Bar:
    Stamina Bar:

Post by System on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:00 pm

The member 'Zurg' has done the following action : Dice Rolls

#1 'Attack/Heal (56-60)' : 42, 22, 36

--------------------------------

#2 'Coin Flip' :
    Lawrence

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Lawrence on Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:39 pm

For a moment, it seemed Zurg was right, the meadow was safe and it was perfectly fine to cross it. Things change quickly in the forest, however. In the space of about three seconds the monstrous bear from earlier emerged from a bush, swatted Zurg aside with one swipe of a huge paw, snarled a bit and then charged at Lawrence!

There wasn't time to call out, no time to check on the monarch, there was only space enough to get ready to fight. The butler was nearly caught by surprise by how quickly his body managed to respond, but considering he was running around out here all day, he was a lot more prepared than this morning.

Wait for it, wait for it . . . the bear got within striking distance, but chomped on a whole lot of air as Lawrence leapt out of the way with ease. Again, there was no time to marvel at just what his new body was capable of, there was only time to strike, and strike he did; lashing out at the bear's exposed backside before it could manage to turn around!

---
    HP: (650/650)
    AP: (118/120)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:19 pm