150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Is This Where I Apply?

Post by Shaiamils on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:20 pm

DATE: AUGUST 24TH, 2014
    TIME: APPROX. 12:40 PM, SHORTLY AFTER THE EVENTS OF THIS THREAD

Sigh.

This was it. Here he was at the Portal Hospital. He was going to apply for a job. That's it. That's what he was going to do. Goodness, his heart has never pounded as much as on the day of his military training graduation. The only difference was that this time, it wasn't a good kind of pounding in his chest. It was the kind of pounding that made you want to double over and vomit everywhere. For a good three minutes at least, Shaiamils simply stood in front of the front doors and twiddled his thumbs.

Come on, Shaiamils, professional. You have to be professional. the avian thought to himself. He let out one last drug-out sigh and composed himself to the best of his ability before finally entering the building. He could only hope that the sense of nervousness was not visible in his stride. Once inside, he made his way to the front desk. As expected, there was someone posted there.

"Hello," he introduced himself. "I'm Shaiamils. I came here through a portal yesterday, and I was a doctor in the military back at home. I was wondering if it would be possible for me to apply for a job here."

Last edited by Shaiamils on Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:22 am; edited 2 times in total
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Level : ??

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Re: Is This Where I Apply?

Post by Dr. SALLI on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:16 pm

Imagine Nurse Floyd's surprise when a bird person even taller than himself waltzed into the hospital. The Nurse had been in the middle of drumming his desk with some pens when the bird person walked in and up to the table. Lucky for him it had been a slow day. Floyd blinked up at the feathered man when he spoke. "Shaiamils?" That was a mouthful. This guy had just arrived yesterday and already he was at the hospital hoping to get a job. "You work fast, huh?" Floyd's face seem impressed for a moment before he pondered.

This certainly wasn't the first time someone had come in, curious about working here. The other two people who had come however had disappeared. Hell, the Doctor who worked here before Dr. SALLI had up and disappeared without a trace! Disappearances, more common than you think. Nurse Floyd stood up from his chair and came around the corner. "I'll take you in the back, if you want a job here you should probably talk to Dr. SALLI. I think she's in the break room right now!" Since Shaiamiles was a doctor in the military, the nurse didn't see him having any sort of problems getting a job.

((Sorry this took a while!))
    Shaiamils
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 10

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Post by Shaiamils on Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:37 am

"Yeah, new place, never going home... I need to make a living here somehow, you know. Why not do what you did back at home? Could you imagine going from a doctor to a worker at some fast food joint?" He chuckled at the thought. "I don't know about you, but I know I wouldn't go for that."

The avian's feathers ruffled nervously for a moment, but he caught himself, stopping the ruffling as soon as it started. He didn't want to start dropping feathers all over the floor in here. Doing so would give him negative marks during his review, that's for sure.

"I'd very much like to speak with Dr. SALLI, thank you. Could you show me to the break room?"
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:52 pm

"Oh, I feel ya! I didn't spend all that time in college and medical school to be whisked away to another dimension and become a cashier at the nearest fast food place! I wouldn't go for that either." Nurse Floyd has studied way too hard for that. Thankfully there was the Hospital, and he had been hired to work here. The place needed as much help as it could get, after all. One upside to being whisked away to Portal Breach, however? No more student debt. The Nurse's mouth quirked into a smile at the thought.

Floyd watched the alien's feathers ruffle, more than a little curious. Never had an avian coworker before! Here's hoping Thanksgiving wouldn't insult the guy... "Oh, of course! Follow me." With a gesture of his hand, the human turned around and lead Shaiamils through the double doors, darting around other nurses and doctors, as well as patients, to find a specific door that was thankfully not too far down the hall. "Hey Salli!"

The breakroom was pretty normal as far as breakrooms go, a few vending machines for snacks and beverages, some tables to sit at. A microwave and mini-fridge. Dr. SALLI herself was seated at the table with a bespectacled woman who gave Nurse Floyd an annoyed look. Floyd's attention was all on Dr. SALLI however. "Nurse Floyd?" She blinked and moved her head to the side, tilted to get a better look at the man behind the nurse. "Is that a patient?" Why would Nurse Floyd just up and bring someone into the breakroom?

"Nah, he wants to work here, actually!" The Nurse lead Shaiamils over to the table, quickly grabbing the woman by the shoulders. "How about we give them some privacy, huh?"

"But I'm not done with my lunch!" The woman protested, pointing down to her tupperware container full of salad. The Nurse rolled his eyes.

"Just bring it with you and eat it in the hallway! Dang..." The woman groaned and sat up, giving Shaiamils a polite smile before shooting a glare at Floyd and leaving the breakroom with her salad. The Nurse turned to the robotic Doctor and the avian Doctor. "Call me if you need me!" And with a salute, he left.

The breakroom was empty except for the two of them, Dr. SALLI now taking in the avian creature who wanted to work here. She gave him a smile and gestured for him to sit. "I'm Dr. SALLI. So...you want to work here? Do you have any training, and if so, what kind?"
    Shaiamils
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Post by Shaiamils on Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:26 pm

Shaiamils eagerly followed Floyd to the break room. There were two people in the room, a bespectacled human and a robot. One of them had to be Salli, but which one? He didn't have to wonder for long. When Floyd addressed Salli, the robot cocked her head and responded. The avian could definitely see how a robotic doctor would be practical. A robotic doctor could simply be programmed with all the necessary medical knowledge. The human seemed a bit reluctant to leave the break room, annoyed really, but she ended up leaving anyways without much complaint. Salli, of course, asked him the obvious question: What kind of medical training did he have?

"I was a doctor in the military back on my planet," the avian responded. "This cord you see around my left shoulder? It's the honor cord that I earned when I became a doctor. As a military doctor, I was trained especially in first aid. Though I mostly worked as a generic doctor when off-duty, I am more than qualified to diagnose and treat injuries."
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:20 pm

Ah, so the avian in front of her had been a doctor in the military. When prompted, Dr. SALLI's optics shifted to take note of the cord around his left shoulder. The cord definitely looked like it was from the military. The man usually handled first aid, though when he was off-duty he was much more of a 'generic' doctor, as he had described it. He still insisted that he would do a fine job of diagnosing and treating injuries. "I don't think we've ever had anyone working here who was a part of a military unit. I think your skills would come in handy, though. With the disasters around here and how much people love to fight, some patients we get look as if they've been through a war." A few battles in particular with a Car Demon were at the forefront of her processor with that memory.

"The other Head Doctor here is Dr. Solus, and before we go about hiring you I should definitely inform him about you and your skills. So it may take a few days before you hear back from us. There is also a job application sheet I can give you so that we can have more information on you and what you can do. But for now, are there any questions you may have for me, about this job or anything you would want to know before starting here?"
    Shaiamils
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Post by Shaiamils on Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:25 pm

Phew, that was a good thing! Dr. Salli seemed to think that Shaiamils' skills would come in handy around the hospital. Apparently disasters were commonplace here in Portal Breach, and injured patients a frequent occurrence, some injuries so severe that they looked like they just came out of a war. That's not good, that's not good at all. The avian wondered just how bad the crime rate must be here in the city. He could only assume that it was relatively high. The robotic doctor before him informed him that she would have to consult with the Head Doctor about hiring him. That, of course, was understandable. For the time being, however, she offered to give him an application form.

"An application form would be great, thank you," he said. "As for questions, hmm... The only thing I'd really like to know is what my hours could possibly be. Otherwise, I have no questions."
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:58 pm

Application forms, always a plus. A bit tedious to fill out, definitely not exactly her type of 'recreational reading' but still a valued part of any job application. "You're welcome." Was the friendly response as Dr. SALLI stood up from the table. Standing up, she really noticed just how tall the birdlike alien was. He looked to be about 2 feet taller than herself. "I don't think I caught your name." Before leaving, Nurse Floyd had referred to him as the ever popular 'he'.

"As for hours..." Dr. SALLI began to leave the room, gesturing for Shaiamils to follow. "We are open 24 hours, everyday of the week. Hours mainly depend on when it is you want to work, as we have openings on every shift. Morning hours, afternoon, evening...I should also inform you that we treat patients for free. Though you will still get paid money for your work here, it is not the kind of pay this sort of work usually gets. Or so Nurse Floyd tells me." The Doctor gave her companion an amused smile. "Sometimes he whines about how he went to medical school so he would be rolling in Benjamins. In any case, the pay is good enough." She decided not to mention that she didn't quite get paid, as it didn't matter.

Coming across a door with her name on it, she opened it and gestured for Shaiamils to enter first, before entering behind him and searching for some papers. Finding the stack she needed, she attached it to a clipboard and handed it over to Shaiamils. The office was neat and tidy, not much in the way of personal adornments.
    Shaiamils
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Post by Shaiamils on Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:10 pm

"Ah, I'm sorry," the avian said when the robotic doctor mentioned never getting his name. "The name's Shaiamils." She explained to him that the hospital was open 24 hours. Most hospitals were. As such, there were three shifts that he could choose from: Morning, afternoon, and evening. Also, though the treatments here were free, all staff still got paid. "I would prefer the morning shift. I always liked getting work out of the way and having the rest of the day to myself. And really, I appreciate whatever pay I get. Any amount of credits helps, and I just like being able to help out.

Dr. Salli led him into her office and motioned for him to enter first. Once inside, she handed him the application.

"Thank you," he said, reading over the contents.
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:16 pm

"Its fine, I imagine your name is one of the last things on your mind right about now." He still seemed relatively new, after all. Though she was one of the few to never go through what most of the people in the Breach had, she could understand being a distracted and perhaps not remembering who all one had introduced oneself to. "Its nice to formally meet you, Shaiamils." He, of course, already had her name.

Of the shifts available, Shaiamils chose the morning as his preferred shift, the robotic Doctor smiling a bit. "That's good, I think the morning shift is perhaps our emptiest. Not a lot of people like coming in early if they don't have to." But Shaiamils had a nice way of looking at it. The early bird gets the biggest worm, in this case the early bird gets the rest of the day to themselves. "I am glad to hear that." She gave the other a slight nod and a smile before the two of them entered into her office. After handing over the clipboard, pen attached to it as well, Dr. SALLI took a seat behind the desk. There was a seat on Shaiamils' side as well, for him to sit if he wanted to.

The application started with the basics, name and address, where the one filling the form could be reached, as well as the shift being applied for. Next were questions asking for details about medical qualifications and previous jobs that had been held, as well as a list of questions asking about background, primarily possible criminal activities and malpractice suits.
    Shaiamils
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Post by Shaiamils on Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:27 am

"So the morning shift's the emptiest, hm? That's good, less competition for the job," Shaiamils joked. Wait a minute, was that an appropriate thing to do? He was joking. Would they think less of him for joking around? The avian didn't have time to harp on himself over it, unfortunately. He had an application that needed to be filled out. And so, swallowing his urge to self deprecate, the avian plopped down in the seat that was offered to him, crossing his legs.

The application form was pretty straightforward. It asked for the same things as the application he filled out for his first medical job, name, address, criminal history, things like that. For a moment, though, he pondered on the address. He assumed that the Stock Pot Inn was a valid place of residence given how many people live there, so he simply put down its address, as well as his room number. The alien made sure to put a little asterisk along with a message that this was liable to change, though. It was a nice place, yes, but he didn't exactly plan on staying there forever. Once finished, he handed it over to Salli.

"That should cover everything," he said. "Thank you for allowing me to apply."
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:47 pm

The robotic Doctor gave an awkward smile at the other Doctor's joke. After working with Nurse Floyd for so long, she was used to jokes being told on and off the job, sometimes even some strange and off-color jokes, but it still wasn't quite her own style. Dr. SALLI was compassionate yet professional. In any case, Shaiamils wasn't going to receive any points off for his joke. The birdlike alien sat down to fill out his application, and Dr. SALLI grabbed up a pile of papers and got to work on a bit of paperwork that had been sitting on her desk for a while. The next few minutes ticked by, the only sounds being the scribbling of pens. When Shaiamils finished and handed the application over, Dr. SALLI lifted her head and took it with a smile.

"Thank you, and you are welcome." Everyone deserved a chance to apply, right? As long as they weren't serial killers or some other such unsavory types... the robot leafed through the application briefly, giving his answers a polite glance before tapping the papers on the desk to even the pages out, then laying them flat on the desk. "If you have no other questions, comments, or concerns, you are free to go." Dr. SALLI took a brief note of the time. Still pretty early in the day. "I'll speak to Dr. Solus and contact you to let you know whether you've gotten the job. I should contact you by tomorrow, the day after tomorrow at the latest."
    Shaiamils
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Post by Shaiamils on Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:00 am

"No, I don't have any questions. Thank you. I do believe I'll just be on my way," Shaiamils responded, reaching out to shake her hand. "Again, thanks for having me. I really do appreciate it."

And with that, the avian was on his way back to the Stock Pot. As soon as he was out of the hospital, he let out a long, drug out sigh of relief. The feathered alien was so glad to have that over with. Interviews were the absolute worst, but unfortunately, they were a must every work field for obvious reasons. Though he was glad to finally be heading back to the inn, he idly wondered if he would get any sleep tonight. He was not one who took easily to stress or suspense.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:25 pm