Portal Breach: The Collision of Worlds :: v.4.0

I'm [almost] experienced, loyal, and hardworking!

Aderyn
    Kilobyte

Kilobyte

Level : 1

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

I'm [almost] experienced, loyal, and hardworking!

Post by Aderyn on Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:01 pm

Time: 0900
    Date: July 31st

Always up and at ‘em early, Aderyn had ran, eaten, showered, cleaned her short cowboy boots and dressed long before what would’ve been Reveille. The young woman practiced what she would say, and went over what she had learned back in Vegas. "Experienced, loyal, hardworking...the trifecta of employ-ability." Wait, didn't that come from some show her parents watched reruns of...? She shook her head to clear it, grabbed her bag, and went out the door. She started the trek to the hospital, walking slowly. She didn’t know what time the shifts started around here, and would have hated to catch the head nurse right as their day was starting. Let the morning settle a little, she told herself. Don’t want to seem too eager and desperate, but still show determination. Such strange customs regarding jobs in the civilian world. She chuckled a bit, finally pausing before the hospital.

Hm. So this was it. It seemed a rather modest place in comparison to the rest of the city. She had expected something…bigger. Like most of the hospitals she had seen during the too-many-to-count relocations. She took a deep breath, and walked inside, smoothing her dress out. A fresh smell hit her, rather than the sterile smell most hospitals had. ”Oh! That’s nice,” she said, quietly. Scoping the place as she walked through, it seemed like a nice little clinic. She came to the reception desk, and smiled. ”Hi, is the head nurse available? Only if I won’t be interrupting anything, of course. I can wait,” she said, her tone steady and confident. She stayed off to the side, not wanting to block any patients who actually needed to be there, but kept her eyes on the workers.
    Shaiamils
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 10

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Re: I'm [almost] experienced, loyal, and hardworking!

Post by Shaiamils on Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:02 pm

Shaiamils looked at his wristwatch. He had arrived just an hour earlier to start his shift, and was just grabbing a quick drink from one of the building's water dispensers. The ornithoid alien kept a close eye on the time, for in a place like a hospital, there wasn't often much time to take breaks. Just as the doctor was finishing up, he caught ear of someone who was looking to speak to the head nurse. While that wasn't him by any means, perhaps he could still help her out? He took one last look at his watch. Yup, he should have time to do that.

"Excuse me?" the feathery doctor addressed the woman. A quick look at the name tag on his uniform would reveal his name. "I'm just one of the doctors here, but perhaps I could help you just the same? What do you need to see the head nurse for?"
    Aderyn
    Kilobyte

Kilobyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by Aderyn on Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:09 pm

Aderyn turned her attention to the interesting looking doctor. She studied his name for a moment, partially to not be rude and stare, before extending her hand. "Hello, Doctor Shaiamils, I'm Aderyn Lombard-Tanner, I was told that perhaps the hospital could assist me. You see, back in my world, I was studying to be a nurse." The young woman explained. Her eyes stayed fixed on his face. She hoped she said his name correctly, it would be a terrible embarrassment to of screwed that up. It probably wouldn't help her first impression, either.

After a brief pause, she continued. "Unfortunately, it appears there isn't a university here. I was one semester from starting an internship, and I was hoping, perhaps, I could finish my training here." She took a deep breath, and swallowed hard. Still, the smile remained.
    Shaiamils
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 10

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Post by Shaiamils on Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:07 am

"Ah, so you've taken an interest in the medical field?" The doctor seemed quite happy to hear this. "It is a very rewarding field of work, I assure you. I remember when I was just a trainee, studying with my planet's military... Oh, but I'm getting sidetracked. You just sent me on a trip down memory lane for a second there."

Shaiamils scratched his head, feeling a tad embarrassed.

"Now where was I?.. Oh! I do think that, at your level of training, you might at least be able to apply for an internship. I'm not really the person you should ask about that, though. The person you'll probably want to talk to is Dr. SALLI. She's the one I spoke to when I applied to work here." He looked to the nurse that was positioned at the reception desk. "Floyd, could you direct Aderyn here to Dr. SALLI?"
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Level : ??

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:43 pm

It was indeed early. Way too early for Nurse Floyd, who wiped at his eyes and flicked away some sleep with one hand while the other leafed through paperwork. A woman came in through the door, though the nurse was on auto-pilot at the moment as he moved papers around and put them in their appropriate files. The magic words at the moment were 'help', 'emergency', or his own name. Having not heard any of them from her mouth, he merely focused on the papers. Not out of rudeness of course, merely a very focused center of zen as he did his work and tried to wake up. Shaiamils came over to give her assistance, though his appearance had also been missed by Floyd's tunnel vision. While the two spoke, Floyd paused in his work of shifting papers into drawers to grab a Styrofoam cup and take a sip. Mmm...mocha. So smooth, so warm...it felt great as it went down his throat, a warmth that spread just in time for Shaiamils to address Floyd.

Dr. Shaiamils wrote:"Floyd, could you direct Aderyn here to Dr. SALLI?"

The nurse blinked blankly, head snapping up to stare at the two people he had only just noticed were there. Shaiamils the bird Doctor and a young woman with...greenish skin? Floyd blinked a few more times before the words sunk in. "Oh! Uh..." He glanced down at his coffee and set it back down on the desk, eyeing the marker print that spelled out his name on the side. No one else better grab his life blood. "Sure, sure, yeah. I can do that. Nice to see you, Dr. Shaiamils." Nurse Floyd gave him a brief wave before he turned to the young woman. "Aderyn, right? Follow me, and I'll lead you to Dr. SALLI!" Gesturing for the swinging doors that lead deeper into the hospital, Floyd waited until they had gone through them and out of the earshot of Shaiamils before he asked her, "So what do you need with Dr. SALLI again?"
    Aderyn
    Kilobyte

Kilobyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by Aderyn on Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:43 pm

Hearing ‘military,’ Aderyn straightened up and her expression became more serious. She nodded quickly, answering the doctor when he paused. ”You must have wonderful stories, sir.” Though her interest was piqued, she would have to hope she caught him another time to hear good ol’ war stories. ”That’s what I was hoping for,” she explained, following his gaze to the nurse.

The man, apparently Floyd, looked up, a bit deer-in-headlights. Poor dear, he must be overworked. She nodded when he addressed her, and looked to the doors. ”Thank you, Dr. Shaiamils,” Aderyn smiled, then walked through the doors. Back there, she began to absorb her surroundings. Clean, crisp…though the hospitals back home were well kept, this one could only compare to one from her world. She looked at Floyd. ”It was suggested to me that I could finish up my training here, so I was hoping to speak to the head nurse about that. Dr. Shaiamils said Dr. SALLI should be able to help with that, though.” The hybrid paused, considering the last few minutes. ”I was one semester from being done with my associates with nursing, and was going to do an internship, but…well, here I am instead!”
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:00 am

Nurse Floyd turned back to Aderyn as she explained, she had been in training in her dimension and hoping to get a job here with the experience she had managed to get. She had intended to talk to the Head Nurse about getting a job here, and Floyd shot her a grin. "Oh yeah, she will. She's actually the Head Nurse here. She's also a Doctor though, it's weird." He shrugged, not minding that he was just a normal nurse. Though the young man did click his tongue in sympathy for Aderyn. "One semester away, that is...that's just bad timing." He shook his head. "I finished up my schooling, was on the job as a nurse for a couple of months before I came here. The pay ain't anything like I expected when I first decided to be a nurse but hey; at least we don't have to worry about loans anymore, huh?" Aderyn's level of experience didn't seem to bother him at all as he lead the way to a door with the name 'Dr. SALLI' printed in the side. "I'll just pop in real quick, let her know you're here about a job, okay?" With a small nod to Aderyn, he opened the door and slid inside the room.

Inside, Dr. SALLI blinked back at the Nurse. "Nurse Floyd?" He didn't usually come back here so early... The robotic Doctor stood up from her desk and walked out from behind it to face the Nurse head on. "Did something happen? Is the hospital on fire? Is there enough disaster?"

Floyd held up both hands and flashed his palms at her. "Whoa, whoa. Slow your roll, chill! We've just got a young girl here, interested in an internship or something!"

Dr. SALLI blinked, a small click sounding from her metal eyelids. "...Oh. Huh...I see!" The robot approached her desk, leafing through the papers there until she found a job application. Setting it on top and smoothing the paper with her delicate metal fingers, she sat behind the desk and laced her hands together. "Alright. Send her in, Nurse Floyd."

Floyd clicked his tongue and pointed at the Doctor with his index fingers, holding his hands as if they were a pair of guns. "You got it, babe!" A stern look made the nurse wince, and awkwardly backpedal. "Ma-am, ma-am! Doctor ma-am sir, you have got it, Doctor ma-am...sir." He puffed out an awkward sigh, turning on a heel to leave the room and re-enter the hallway where he had left Aderyn. "She's in, you can go ahead inside and talk with her. Hopefully we'll have something for ya!"
    Aderyn
    Kilobyte

Kilobyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by Aderyn on Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:10 am

A head nurse, and doctor? Wow, what a hard worker! It was a little intimidating. She shrugged about the bad timing, laughing a bit. "Terrible timing, but I got used to bad timing a long time ago." Part of being a military brat, really. She nodded in agreement with Floyd. "Isn't that the truth?" They stopped at a door, and the nurse stepped in. Aderyn waited quietly, looking up and down the hallway. Such a curious place. She was glad the hospital seemed so positive, compared to the rest of the place.

The man came back, telling her she could go in. "Thank you very much." She bowed her head, smoothed her dress, and stepped inside the office. After a quick survey, she looked to Dr. SALLI. The young woman let out a surprised gasp, but quickly regained her composure. "Doctor SALLI? I'm Aderyn Lombard-Tanner, it's very nice to meet you. The nurse was telling me you're the head nurse and a doctor. That's most impressive." She swallowed hard, and extended her hand for a shake. "I just arrived here. Back where I came from, I was studying to be a nurse, and as there are no colleges here, I was told perhaps it would be possible to complete my training here."
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:37 pm

"Good, you'll be fine here then!" Bad timing was a staple for Hospitals, and definitely a staple of living in the Breach. You have five minutes til your shift ends? Whoop, the world ended again, people are injured and need medical attention. Time for overtime. The bad timing wasn't too bad at least...you can't work at a hospital and expect accidents and disasters to bend to your convenience. At the thanks, Floyd nodded his head back at her. "Good luck!" With a brief wave, the nurse walked off to take his place at the reception desk once more.

The office of Dr. SALLI was rather neat as far as offices go. Nothing was out of place, no sign of dust, and even the papers spread across her desk were neatly stacked so that each side was even. There was a lack of any personal items such as knick knacks and pictures. As the young woman walked in, Dr. SALLI smiled back at her, though the robot blinked curiously at the gasp. She must not have been used to robots...still, the woman shook it off easily and introduced herself. The Doctor stood up, briefly smoothing out her lab coat before reaching forward to take the offered hand and shake it. Smooth metal met soft skin, and her handshake was almost surgical. "I'm pleased to meet you, Aderyn Lombard-Tanner." She chuckled, smile turning from polite to pleased. "Thank you very much!" How kind! She released the young woman's hand and folded her hands in front of herself politely as she listened. Aah, so like Shaiamils a year ago, Aderyn was new. Unlike him however, she had not finished her training just yet. Indeed, the Breach had no colleges that she had ever seen, so Aderyn's chances of ever finishing her training lay with the Hospital.

The robotic Doctor frowned sympathetically. "I would hate for all of your work to go to waste." Though she had never attended college herself, she had heard enough from Nurse Floyd. Dr. SALLI brought a hand to cusp the bottom of her chin as she thought, processor working hard to ponder this predicament. "And we could use more nurses..." Hmm... Dr. SALLI lifted her gaze to face Aderyn again. "Whatever training we can give you, likely wouldn't be exactly the same as what you learned in college. However, I'm sure that Dr. Solus, Dr. Shaiamils and I could work something out. It could be almost like an internship and once we've deemed your training complete, we can hire you as a nurse. I'll have to talk to Dr. Solus and Dr. Shaiamils first to see what they say and we can organize who would teach you what exactly, but I'd be more then happy to assist you in completing your training." The Doctor clasped both of her hands together. "How would that sound?" It would be a first for her, but it was an interesting idea.
    Aderyn
    Kilobyte

Kilobyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by Aderyn on Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:37 am

Back home, robots were mainly used to replace cashiers, or assist in surgery, not doctors or nurses. Test runs had made patients wary, the AI wasn't quite prepared for such personal relationships. But here, well...Dr. SALLI certainly blew those robots far out of the water. After the shake, Aderyn dropped her hands to her side, and straightened.

She glanced around the immaculate office again. It was truly perfect. She turned back to Dr. SALLI, nodding as she spoke. An internship, that'd be wonderful. "I would appreciate that very much, ma'am. When will you know what the other doctors think about it?" She tried to stay on top of everything, and liked to know how fast the wheels moved. Once the wheels stopped, it was easy to be pushed aside, often because it seemed one lacked interest in it. "Also, it may help to know that I was preparing to start my last semester," she added.
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:28 pm

"Hmm..." Well, it was still rather early in the morning. Dr. SALLI would not promise that she'd get the other Doctors' opinions in a mere hour or two, but... "I should know by tonight, if not tomorrow morning. I will have to ask around our respective working hours, but it isn't impossible." The lunch hour might be the best chance at grabbing the both of them at one time. Dr. SALLI's hand dropped from her chin to dangle by her side, taken from her thoughts at Aderyn's addition. "Hm?" Her last semester? The mention gave SALLI an idea, and the robotic Doctor reached behind herself to grasp a slip of blank paper from the desk. She half-turned around and plucked a pen with the inscription 'Portal Hospital' on the side.

With both held steady in hand, she held them out for Aderyn to take. "Do you think you'd be able to remember the classes you took, perhaps the classes you had left to take for your last semester as well? Unfortunately, we don't have access to your transcript here..." It was a shame, if only everyone could arrive through the Portal with all of their important information on their person. "If you can't remember any of the classes exactly, your closest and best guess should still be good." The Doctor reassured with a small smile.
    Aderyn
    Kilobyte

Kilobyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by Aderyn on Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:49 pm

That was a certainly wonderful time frame. Aderyn smiled. ”I understand that. That’s much sooner than I anticipated, but in a good way.” The half-alien’s mind spun in a mixture of excitement and nervousness. So close! Oh, so very close! She watched the doctor, her head slightly cocking to one side.

When asked about her classes, Aderyn mentally kicked herself. The day before she had stumbled here, she had taken her transcript to the insurance office to prove she was enrolled for some out of state thing. ”Yes, I can remember almost all of them.” She took the pen and paper with a grateful nod, and quickly began to jot down her classes. Once that list was done, she paused, thinking. Another nod, more to herself this time, as she made a dash, wrote Remaining Classes, and listed:

• Mental Health Nursing
      Pediatric Nursing
      Lifespan Development (Psychology)
      Surgical Nursing II
      Professional Topics: Nursing Management

She carefully set the list back on the desk, with the pen at the top of it. ”Here you are, doctor. I didn’t include any electives or general studies, though. I can always add those if you need me to.”
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:43 am

Dr. SALLI returned the smile. "I like to get results as soon as I can. This is a first for us, but it shouldn't be too hard to get opinions from the other Doctors." Hopefully the robotic Doctor didn't seem like she was rushing anything. She preferred to get results quick, but she didn't sacrifice quality in order to obtain it. "If it takes any longer, I'll let you know."

Handing the paper and pen over, the Doctor took a step back and glanced around the room as she gave Aderyn a moment to think and write. SALLI felt a little awkward to just sit here and lurk while she wrote, after all! "That's good!" Not to mention useful. If it were the case that Aderyn had problems remembering her classes, Dr. SALLI could get Floyd in here to discuss classes and jog her memories. Dr. SALLI herself did not possess any memories about taking classes. The robot had merely been programmed with all of the information she would need to know, then immediately put to work. Soon enough, Aderyn put the paper back down on the desk for SALLI to see. The Doctor nodded back to the young woman and lifted the paper off of the desk, optics roaming over the list. As Aderyn had said, there were no electives or general studies on this list, just about everything seemed to be the type of classes one would take if they were in a nursing program. "This should be good, thank you."

Looked good so far...her optics moved down to the remaining classes. Mental Health Nursing, Pediatric Nursing, Lifespan Development (Psychology), Surgical Nursing II, and Professional Topics: Nursing Management... "We have a Psychiatrist here who may be helpful for your Lifespan Development Psychology class, Dr. Solus could help with the Surgical Nursing perhaps... He is the main Surgeon here. Everything else, I should be able to assist you with, but I'll discuss it with the other Doctors to get their opinions. It looks like you were getting into some upper level courses before you were brought here." Dr. SALLI stacked the paper on her desk, then leafed through a few other forms and stacks. As she looked, the robot glanced over a shoulder back at Aderyn. "Do you have any experience with other Hospitals in your universe or would this be your first time working in a Hospital?" Did they have any internship forms someone could fill out...?
    Aderyn
    Kilobyte

Kilobyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by Aderyn on Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:50 pm

While Dr. SALLI went over the sort-of transcript, Aderyn clasped her hands before her, glancing about. Though she kept an ear out, the young woman mentally recited a phonetics alphabet then numerals. Fow-er, fife… She quickly snapped back and looked to the doctor, absorbing what she said. ”That sounds good, ma’am. And I really was...unfortunate timing with this. A family friend was offering to get me in with some good connections he had,” she sighed, but shrugged. Ah, he had been the most supportive of her decision. Not that her family wasn’t supportive, but they hadn’t fully understood. Maybe it was because they weren’t always on…that side, per se.

She watched her curiously, and considered her question. ”I had volunteered for two summers at a hospital before I went to college. Also, some of my classes required clinical hours to be put in on top of lab or discussion time. Concepts and Patient Care, Adult Care, Geriatric Care, and Maternal Health all required us to, combined together, put in at least eight hours a week at one of the hospitals the school worked through. It would have been the same for my last semester, with the exception of Lifespan Development and Nursing Management. Those were just in a class room.” Aderyn explained, a bit surprised at herself for remembering the class names so well.
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:39 am

Timing seemed to be jabbing this poor woman in the side at every turn! First, one last semester to earn her degree as a Nurse, now it seems that a family friend had been working to get Aderyn some important connections for her future career. "I am so sorry to hear that." The Doctor frowned lightly. Nurse Floyd often spoke of how important connections could be in getting a job. Of course, since she would have come here anyway, perhaps the connections didn't really matter...still, it was the principal of the things. "If it at all helps...perhaps I can be your 'connection' now. And eventually your boss!" She smiled, turning to face Aderyn again and give her a playful wink.

The sound of rustling paper stopped, the robot's search paused as she instead turned to face Aderyn completely, listening as she answered. Two summers, Aderyn had volunteered at the same hospital before college. That already sounded very good, the clinical hours she had to put in for some of her classes only made it better. Nurse Floyd had talked at length about how much work he had to do for college, but Dr. SALLI had always figured the man was exaggerating. From what Aderyn was saying though, it sounded like a lot of experience and knowledge was needed just to graduate! In the back of her processor, Dr. SALLI couldn't help but wonder what it may have been like to go to college...sit in a classroom and learn all of these things. Volunteer in a hospital...the robot shook her head briefly. Those were thoughts for another time. "You sound very qualified. You've put in a lot of effort for your degree." Dr. SALLI couldn't exactly call those hospitals to confirm if Aderyn had worked there, but she'd take the woman's word for it. She seemed like a very straight forward girl! Dr. SALLI turned back to the pile of papers and finally plucked a stack out. "I am certain that you'd make a valuable member here, once we finish up your training. So perhaps we should get this out of the way and file it for later..."

The pen was scooped up, the papers attached to a clipboard, and finally Dr. SALLI handed it all over for Aderyn to grab. It was a job application form, and the first questions were rather basic. Name, address, contact information...from there the subject shifted, asking about the position and shift being applied for, medical qualifications and previous experiences. Background questions were next, focusing primarily on criminal activities, charges, and malpractice suits. Dr. SALLI took a step back, hands folding across her front. "Anything that can't be completed until your training is finished, you can leave blank until you're done. If you move before we're done with the training, that is also fine, just let me know. This will also be useful to show to the other Doctors." She elaborated gently. They couldn't check references, and having Dr. SALLI's word on Aderyn's experience might not be the best, nor most professional method. However, if she were to have it all in writing...it would help their case. Who could turn down a young nurse just waiting to bloom?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:20 am