Portal Breach: The Collision of Worlds :: v.4.0

I'm [almost] experienced, loyal, and hardworking!

Aderyn
    Kilobyte

Kilobyte

Level : 1

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Re: I'm [almost] experienced, loyal, and hardworking!

Post by Aderyn on Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:57 pm

”So it goes.” She gave another small shrug. As unfortunate as it was, one must learn to roll with the punches. Perhaps the most disappointing in that aspect was she would never have the chance to work with that particular family friend now. He was so well respected by her parents and their friends. Such a wonderful role model for someone… when she heard the doctor give a small joke about being her connection now, Aderyn laughed, and nodded. ”I sincerely hope so.”

The half alien smiled modestly at the compliment, shaking her head. ”I really wanted it, but I didn’t work as hard as some.” Family friend, for example. Huh, maybe that sounded off. ”I mean, everyone worked hard. It’s just…compared to some of the students who were parents, or had to contend with being deployed while working towards their degree…I had it fairly easy, only a part-time job to take me from my studies, and even then, I studied there.” It probably helped that the tattoo parlor didn’t get busy until the afternoon, and even then…her job had just been ‘sign this form saying you’re not under the influence, pregnant, or have a bleeding disorder, and that you understand the risk of a tattoo. Now, give me your ID’ or helping clean up in the morning and at closing. She was good at cleaning.

And, now she was receiving a form. She scanned over the application, nodding at the doctor as she spoke. Let’s see...she quickly wrote her name, her phone, pausing at the address. What was—oh, right, Room 130, Stock Pot Inn. Applying to be a nurse intern, any shift. Experience…2 summers volunteer at an Iowa veteran’s hospital; clinical hours divided between Excelsior Hospital (Concept and Patient Care); First Baptist Hospital (Adult Care, Geriatric Care); St. Anthony’s Hospital (Maternal Health). Background, squeaky clean. Never even had a ticket. A warning, yes, but what are big bug eyes at sixteen in a small town where the cop’s also your uncle for?

After all was written, she bit her lower lip, thinking. Did she have any IDs left in her wallet? Hmm, that could possibly help cement this. She knew she didn’t have her VA ID anymore, but just maybe… The young woman set the clipboard down gently, and shifted through her wallet. ”Oh, it’s my lucky day. I have a student ID,” she set said ID down, and looked through a few other cards. Nothing there, she looked in a pocket, and produced a bright clip with ‘STUDENT NURSE’ on a blue card, and a plastic ID case. She pulled out both IDs--each saying their respective hospital, her name, with a picture of herself--and set them down. ”I forgot about these. Excelsior and St. Anthony’s was where the rest of my clinical hours were going to be divided between, so I kept the badges. First Baptist focused mostly on elderly care, so I didn’t have anything else to learn there.” Blind luck? Yes, but this is also the girl who was carrying a teddy bear in her purse…
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Level : ??

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:16 pm

"Indeed, so it goes." Admittedly, it was a phrase that SALLI had never quite heard in that context. So it goes...rather appropriate, though. Indeed, so it goes! Bad timing, bad luck, and none of it could at all be helped. The robotic Doctor supposed it was like crying over spilled milk, and Aderyn's 'roll with the punches' attitude would hopefully serve her well here. Aderyn found the joke funny, and Dr. SALLI chuckled in response. Truth be told, Dr. SALLI wasn't very used to telling jokes...the robot could be rather socially awkward when the situation didn't involve healing sick people. Time spent with Nurse Floyd seemed to be remedying it, inch by inch. "I hope so too." She honestly did.

People could have worked even harder? The Doctor didn't hide the surprised look on her face, blinking at Aderyn as she continued. The metal plates that made her optic lids made a small click each time she blinked. Some students were dealing with having a child, others juggled being deployed into action, and of course you had the working students. Aderyn herself had a part-time job, though thankfully she managed to study on the job. All of a sudden, Dr. SALLI felt...inadequate. All of these people who had to work hard, struggling for years in order to obtain their degree, paying good money to earn their degree. What struggling did SALLI do? What had she done to earn this? To earn being Head Nurse, and being one of the Head Doctors? Dr. SALLI frowned to herself, turning her gaze away to stare idly at a wall. "I see. I never realized it could be so hard..." Dr. SALLI went quiet, allowing Aderyn to fill out the form in silence. Some parts would be easy for her, others may take time and concentration.

Dr. SALLI's processor seemed to go on stand by, merely staring at the wall and waiting for confirmation of some kind from Aderyn that she had finished. Though when the woman did speak up, she mentioned something else. A student ID...? The robot blinked to attention and turned back to her, as Aderyn dug around with her wallet. "Hm...?" Her head cocked to the side, what did she need her student ID for? As each ID was set down on the desk, SALLI reached over to slide them off of the desk and inspect them. Eventually she had the three IDs fanned in her hands like a deck of playing cards. Student Nurse ID card, and two IDs for the hospitals that she had volunteered for. "Oh, I see!" Dr. SALLI brought the cards up close to her optics, narrowing them as a slight hum sounded from the robotic Doctor. Both sides were scanned, the information stored away within her processor as the robot set each card down once she was finished with them. Once all three were stacked on top of the other, Dr. SALLI laid her fingertips on top of them and pushed them back to Aderyn. "Thank you. I know have a record of these IDs and this will be very useful!" A physical record to prove that Aderyn had indeed worked at these hospital, and had been attending school!

Dr. SALLI grabbed up the clipboard and looked over the answer, giving Aderyn a small nod. "This is looking great, thank you. If you don't have anymore questions, I think you are free to go!"
    Aderyn
    Kilobyte

Kilobyte

Level : 1

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by Aderyn on Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:28 pm

Such a simple, yet deep phrase. Life summed up in three words, three syllables.

Aderyn was thrown for a loop when Dr. SALLI looked so surprised. For a moment, she had forgotten that, as a robot, it had likely just been part of her programming. How different that must be! The young woman didn’t envy the doctor, though. Sure, there had been late nights and tears, but, she was earning it. The doctor, she assumed, had been programmed just for this. Someone else had put in those late nights, the tears, the sweat. The end was for a common goal—to help people. Here in the chaos, especially, the preservation of life was the closest thing to sanity, order, that could be achieved.

”I was always told nothing worthwhile is easy.” Aderyn said softly, glancing up at the doctor, pen in midair. ”Of course, a drill sergeant told me that, so take it as you will. Heh, my parents had interesting friends.”

Good thing Aderyn had decided to keep the IDs on her. If she had taken them out, she would’ve forgotten to grab them on her way back to Vegas, or that had been her reasoning to keep them on her person at all time. It paid off, finally, and not just for student discounts at the book store and movie theater. She watched as they were scanned, and quietly thanked the doctor as she received them back. She set all the IDs back in her wallet, no point in keeping them on her badge now that she wasn’t going back to those hospitals, was there?

”I can’t think of any other questions at the moment.” Aderyn paused, thinking, then smiled and shook her head. ”Thank you for your time, Dr. SALLI. I was delighted to meet you. Have a good day.” The hybrid bowed her head politely, and left, closing the door softly behind her.
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Level : ??

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:58 am

Dr. SALLI chuckled, a smile returning to her face. "Drill sergeant or not, I believe he is right." It eased her doubt some, too. While it was true that Dr. SALLI had been created with information she didn't have to struggle to earn, she was Head Nurse and a Doctor in the only Hospital in the entire city. This job certainly was not easy, caring for patients could be hard, particularly during disasters. Plus, at least the robotic Doctor did not receive payment for a job she did not have to pay money to get in the first place. It wasn't like SALLI really had anything to buy...no, she felt more at ease with her position in this life, now. She didn't feel as if she didn't deserve her position. So long as SALLI used her knowledge and skills to heal people, that was what mattered.

The IDs were handed back, and Dr. Salli smiled again to the young woman. "Alright. It was a pleasure, Aderyn. Have a good day, and I should get back to you by tomorrow, tomorrow night at the latest!" She nodded her head politely as the woman left, waiting until the door had been closed for a good, couple of moments before she gathered her papers up. The application form and the list of classes, Dr. SALLI stacked them all into an even pile and set them down upon her desk, smoothing the top page out with her fingertips. She reached up, a hand to the side of her head as she browsed her processor for a certain number. Once found, she scooped up a phone and dialed it. "Hello, Dr. Solus? I'd like to talk to you and Dr. Shaiamils, possibly Dr. Animus too..."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:08 pm