650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Root-Stuff is Good for the Soul

Post by Fear on Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:09 pm

Time: 13:47
    Date: May 15, 0006

Clink, clink, clink!

What a cheery, rather upbeat day! Except, you know, it really wasn't. It was actually a bad day, depending on who you asked. But that didn't bother yours truly, a one Judge Fear shambling down the bustling avenues of Portal City with a chipper pep in his quirky step. Usually, he rather detested the sunlight, the people, the overall activity that highlighted a living, breathing metropolis. Usually, he'd be out purging and filling the skies with screams of horror and having the streets run a satisfying red. Not today, however! Oh no, for today something had irrevocably... happened. Call it a sixth sense if you will, but there was something amiss on the other side of the line, and that something had curly brown hair and freckles. Best not to think about that until necessary. Besides, he was swinging around these parts for an entirely other reason.

The incredibly tall undead fiend stepped over a few tykes and maneuvered his way over toward a familiar shop; amen for the usual suspects being in their typical places, their minds a psychic map in all this frantic hustle and bustle. Ahh, there it was! One gaudy music shop with its pop culture and artificial celebrity idols. He largely ignored the colourful posters (stopping only for a moment to ponder how Madonna's bra actually worked) and came across a locked front door.

Huh... A leathery hand rubbed the top of his helm, the smelly fiend confused.

Locked? At this hour? Oh right, right. Argument with long-time friend, tensions running high, uncomfortable silence; who would want to be bothered during such an unnerving time? For a moment, though brief, Judge Fear thought about just... you know, barging on through. It was well within his right! But he quickly put on his thinking cap and remembered that those vexing ISOs would instantly put a stop to his good intentions. Right, then. Can't be having any of that. So, if he were Kev, moping and feeling generally like trash, where would he... Aha! Thaaat's right, the second story! Almost forgot about it... He promptly abandoned the front door and went around, glancing upward every so often to spy - ah, a window! It was a darn shame that there wasn't anything to scurry up, though... Oh, but who was he kidding? He was an undead fiend with extraordinary supernatural powers! He could lift cars, he could manipulate shadows, he could kill people with but a single gaze! No, no. A wall would be easy business. And so, setting aside his delicate goods onto the ground and thinking himself quite clever (which he was, shush), Judge Fear squared his legs, bent a little in the back, aaaaand - !

"Hi, Kev - !" Here, have a friendly wave, for good measure.

Whump...!

"Do you think you can - "

Whump...!

"- open the door for - "

Whump...!

" - me? It'sss sssort of - "

Whump...!

" - locked, thanksss!"

CRACK!

"Ssson-of-a - !"

No, can't say jumping repeatedly was very good for a rotten body magically kept upright through nauseating fluids, dark arts, and pure friendship. No, can't say it was at all.
    Kev

Level : 60

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Re: Root-Stuff is Good for the Soul

Post by Kev on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:00 am

The ticking of the clock seemed to be a reminder; his lunch break should be over. The time was up, and so Kev should stand up, march downstairs and unlock the door! Flip the sign back to read 'OPEN', and man the register again the complete his shift! And yet the alien made no move to stand, he did not listen to the ticking of the clock. His 'lunch break' was extended, as far as he was concerned, and it stretched out to 'whenever he felt like going back to work'. Which, wasn't exactly very soon right now. The clock made for a nice white noise, but it didn't distract him from the argument that had gone down, nor the emotions left after it. The scaly alien wanted to punch his way through the linoleum, keep digging down past the basement and down into the dirt. He wanted to dig far down, where no one could find him, and just curl up in the cold, dark space. Forget about the world for a few minutes, and the people in that world as well.

But...it was an impossible urge. Not to mention juvenile. He would settle instead, for simply sitting on the floor in a slump. Still on his knees, Kev had moved the chair so that the seat had faced him, crossing his arms on top of the cushioned seat and resting his head atop his forearms. His eyes wander over the room, finding patterns to distract himself with. The thread count of the cushions, the wood of the cupboards, even the linoleum pattern. Though it was all white, there were subtle variations in the squares that made it up. For now, the alien occupied his mind in this repetitive work and thought, in order to keep himself from sulking or ruminating on the negative emotions he had left over. Not ignoring them, so much as trying to ride out the 'tide' of hurt. Perhaps he needed a life-line...

Kev perked, ever so slightly, as he picked up on a mental presence near the shop. With the mental bond, it was hard to ignore. Kev's head lifted up, eyeing the shadows of the kitchen. Would Fear pop up over in that dusty corner? Perhaps from the shadow of the table...? Or maybe the shadow of Kev himself?

"Hi, Kev - !"

Kev's head snapped to the direction of the voice, a joint cracking lightly as he did. He managed to catch the faintest of glimpses of Fear in the window...just in time for him to fall back down. The scaly alien blinked, before he leaned forward to inspect the window better. Did he-- "Ah!" As soon as he leaned forward, Kev jolted back as the shiny metal helm appeared in the window again, followed by the rest of his body for a short moment, only to drop back down again. Up and down Fear came, giving bits of a message as he did. Kev's body seemed to move in tandem, leaning forward when Fear landed on the ground, and leaning back as he came into view again. Each move as to the alien getting up from the floor bit by bit until he was standing again, and staring down into the alley in slight disbelief.

CRACK!

"Ssson-of-a - !"

Agh! Such an awful noise! Kev flinched, eyes growing wide before he took off down the stairs. The beaded curtain was batted away as Kev's feet stamped down the stairs. He burst through the area behind the counter, and grasped the door handle. Unlocking it with a fierce determination, he flung the door open and charged out, circling around the side to the alley way that Fear had been hopping about in. "Fear! Are you alright?" A crack that bad, it sounded like a bone had broken! The alien overlooked Fear briefly, as if assessing him for any damages before he surged forward and wrapped both arms around Fear's torso in a death grip. Though worried for the condition of Fear's host...Kev was very glad to see him right now.

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:37 am

Aha! There the little sinner was... and just as clingy as always. But do you think that deterred the hunched-over fiend, his back out of alignment? Of course not! A leathery hand found its way carefully onto the alien's shoulder. Good! The little guy was in one piece, from the feel of it. "Good afternoon, Kev," came the usual resonating bass. "Yesss, I am doing all right. You needn't worry about me and my eternal sssoul. Having sssaid that, think you can, you know... do me a sssolid?" A rotten thumb directed itself to Judge Fear's crooked spine. "I might have ssslipped a disssc while trying to reach you. If you could bang it back into ssshape or do whatever, I'd be mossst grateful."

This was, of course, every bit as intentional as it was unintentional. Kev's spirits were down - ergo, not lift them up with sheer presence and the potential to help his favourite guypal? It was genius, sheer genius.

...Judge Fear could have gone without messing up his posture, though.

"Anyway, you are probably wondering why I ssstopped by, yesss?" Kev was quite the nosy bugger, so better to answer all his questions pronto. "Well," began the fiend, "I had recalled that our, ha ha, date had not gone quite asss sssmoothly, ssso I thought to make it up to you. I know, I know... I am sssimply too good. You may worssship my feet and erect a ssstatue in my honour later. Today, however, we are going to ssspend sssome time together." What fun, right!? There was, of course, something... else. If the hesitation in Judge Fear's otherworldly voice wasn't palpable yet, it was now. "And, er... to delicately offer friendly, conssstructive insssight regarding your talk with the ssswordssswoman." Ahh, all the subtly of a hammer to the face, that wily undead Judge. Speaking of a hammer, wasn't he... "Oh right! I alssso brought usss a little sssomething. You know, to take the edge off?" One of the ghoul's ungodly large feet lightly prodded at a 4-pack of glass bottles, glistening with condensation and quite chilly to the touch. "You'll like it, trussst me," he reassured. After all, would a guypal with this face lie to you?
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:52 am

Kev's hands remained firmly planted around Fear's torso as the corpse's larger one found a spot on Kev's shoulder. He leaned into it, eyes closing as he leaned into Fear's hand as if it were a welcome crutch. The moment only lasted for a couple of seconds before he opened his eyes once again and nodded. "Of course." The little alien was down for doing Fear some solids! In this case, the solid called for Kev to be a chiropractor. With a nod, Kev's arms released the ghoul and he moved around to face Fear's back. Both hands planted themselves on the small of Fear's lanky back, fingers feeling through the leathers for the vertebrae. Sometimes, Kev really did forget just how...thin and lanky Fear was. Tracing his fingers up Fear's spine was a good reminder, as the little notched bones jutted through leather and skin, disturbingly easy to trace and feel. His fingertips made their way up the spine, finding the spot where the spinal column went from straight to...well, crooked. The alien kneaded at Fear's spine, working the vertebrae as though it were bread dough. Finally, after feeling that he had appropriately 'warmed up' the area...

CRACK!

The brunt of his palms slammed into Fear's spine, and Kev pushed forward with all of his strength. Every bit of muscle and effort he could muster, he put into a slam aimed right at Fear's back. Fear's spine definitely made a noise due to the action, and the alien stepped around to face Fear's front. "Is that better, or did I make it worse?" With spines, you could never be sure!

And now lookit Fear, getting right to business. Kev shuffled over to stand before Fear, head cocked to the side as he listened. Oh yes, he was curious about why Fear was here but he had an inkling as to why. However...the first reason that Fear gave had actually been a surprise. The date had been just over a week ago, but he hadn't expected Fear to feel so bad about it that he'd come over in an attempt to make up for it. "Oh...I see." The surprise was reflected in Kev's tone, the alien reaching forward to grasp one of Fear's hands within his own. "Well, it was our first date. And first dates aren't always going to go so smoothly...it's how you figure out what to do and what not to do. We figured out what not to do...and the fact that you tried means a lot. Still..." A finger rubbed against Fear's knuckles. "I like the idea of spending some time with you." Erecting a statue...now that was another matter entirely. They'd have to see about that! Fear needed at least three more gold stars on his guypal card before he got to be worshiped.

"And, er... to delicately offer friendly, conssstructive insssight regarding your talk with the ssswordssswoman."

"..." That had been the answer Kev had been expecting, and yet the reminder of what had transpired within the last hour seemed to make his heart drop like it was made of iron. The tender look in the alien's large eyes became clouded over, and his grip on Fear's hand slacked. "I don't know what to do about her...maybe some insight from you would help." Despite the dread and gloom, he tried to maintain some optimism. Fear was a clever man, he saw the whole thing. Fear would surely have some advice... Kev's finger interlocked with Fear's, giving the larger hand a firmer squeeze this time as if to steady himself. "I'm...sorry, if my emotions were too much during all of that..." ...Hm? Hm? What's this? Fear brought something? His glance flickered down to something that one of Fear's feet pushed forward, a four pack of bottles...? The alien bent down, lightly brushing his fingers over the glass. Ooh, nice and cold...looked a bit more appetizing than water! And now he was curious... Kev scooped up the package, settling it upon one hip to support the weight. "I trust you, Fear." He sincerely meant it. "Do you want to drink it inside?" Or was outside better? Either option was fine with him.

"I'm Kev, and I speak through the power of telepathy. It is represented by italics and the color code #33CC66."
    Fear
    Exabyte

Exabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    65/65  (65/65)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Fear on Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:52 am

CRACK!

Oh, that sounded good, right? With a cadaver for a host, one just never fully knew.

But, for Judge Fear's current purposes, he thought things having returned to their proper elements. Both hands grasped the small of his back as he stretched and leaned backward. Pop, pop, pop! Sounded quite... appetizing, y-yes? "Ahhh, thank you. Everything ssseemsss better," he sighed in relief, Kev's handiwork passing the test. Hey, it wasn't fun hunching over until you found a new host to bang up. He glanced at the alien just in time to see a scaly hand reach out and grasp one of his obscenely large mitts. Aw, was someone feeling a tad cuddly? Alas, affectionate alien or not, Judge Fear wasn't one to gloss over the truth in the details, date or no date.

"Right, but then there wasss the ssscreaming, and the murdering, and the ssshootout with the gangssstersss," he dutifully reminded. See, the undead distinctly remembered that Kev hadn't been particularly fond with any of those aforementioned things. In fact, Kev had been rather livid... The slushie was nice, though. "Oh, and I had alssso been tardy. That isss sssimply inexcusssable for a man of my caliber." Which was quite high, so those of you in the peanut gallery keep mum. "Ssso! Here I am," continued Judge Fear, his unnatural aura creating quite the bitter chill on this otherwise sunny day. "I've nothing better to do, besssidesss. I already purged my usssual areasss of the Outer Dissstrict and thossse folk won't ressspawn for another ssseven bloody daysss. What'sss a faithful Judge of the law sssupposssed to do in the meanwhile?" Go out into the wilderness and actually work for his kills? Ha ha, what a funny idea. He'd rather blow all the dust off his guypal card and earn those three stars, bless him.

...Aaaaaaand then Kev's heart sank like a rock, his usually cheerful disposition sinking with it. Oops! Guess bringing up the swordswoman so soon had actually been a conversational faux pas... It seemed Judge Fear had some ways to go before mastering the art of considerate discussion, and thankfully Kev didn't appear terribly fussed. Still, there'd be no repeating that mistake.

"There'sss no reassson to apologize for how you felt regarding the converssssation. After all, it isss quite hard to grapple with the heavy feeling of betrayal from whom you thought wasss a clossse friend, only to realize that ssshe pessstered you on thisss day for sssomeone elsssse and not becausssse of -  " Sigh... Still wanting of his insight, Kev? Of course you were. You had already survived one helluva gauntlet prior, so what's a second one, huh? An awkward quiet overcame the Dark Judge before he snapped out of it. "Right! How about a lovely ssstroll to the park?" came an eager, if not hasty, suggestion. Well, can't say he isn't aware of his social blunders. "We can drink there asss you feed thossse blathering ducksss, how'sss that?"

Y-You liked feeding ducks, right?
    Kev

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    650/650  (650/650)
    Stamina Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)

Post by Kev on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:25 pm

The Judge stretched his back out after Kev had helped, leaning back while his spine cracked and popped like popcorn. Kev's eyes winced with every pop, body practically preparing for Fear's body to fall apart at the seams...! That moment never came, the ghoul relaxing the best he could and thanking Kev for his help. The alien inclined his head in return. "You're welcome, Fear. If the door's ever locked again like that, you have my permission to come in anyway." Jumping like that had hurt Fear's spine, and Kev was completely fine with Fear using his shadow powers to appear inside of the store. So long as Fear didn't overdo it, popping up right behind Kev and giving him a good startle.

Ah yes...the...not so great parts of their date. Kev glanced off to the side once reminded. "Yes, I was pretty upset about all of those things. Particularly the shootout and the murdering...but it isn't something I'm going to hold against you. Though it would be nice to avoid all of that next time..." Whether that next time was now, or several weeks from now. Admittedly, it made the alien feel rather nice and fuzzy, to hear Fear express remorse and want to make up for it. Who could hold a grudge when the other party sincerely wished to do better? Kev nodded his agreement. "I'm not feeling quite up to returning to work right now, so a break with you would be great! Maybe after we're done spending time together, if it's before 6, I could put you to work in there with me." Kev even sent Fear a wink, if the Judge had no more purging today, why not spend some time together?

Bringing up Tally so soon may have made his emotions slide back to the more unpleasant side, but it was through no fault of Fear. It would naturally need to be brought up! The situation had merely happened so soon, and had so many emotions attached...though Kev may have hoped to have a distraction with Fear, he also knew such emotions couldn't just be ignored. And who better to talk them out with, than Fear? Kev glanced back up at Fear, as the Judge insisted he had no reason to apologize, though as he continued in his explanation, his eyes fell back down to the asphalt again. The hand grasping onto Fear's gave him a small squeeze when the Judge had fallen quiet again, attempting to give him some sort of reassurance. "It's okay Fear...you're right. You haven't said anything wrong or incorrect. And...you aren't the problem." His eyes rose back up to meet the glowing slits of Fear's helm. "If you weren't here right now, I'd still be moping alone in the kitchen up there." He gestured back to the store with a little turn of his head. Though Fear may still be struggling with some of the more socially acceptable parts of conversation and talking with people, he was still putting in a great effort. And it really did make Kev feel better, to have him here. Conversational faux pas and all.

Now what was this...? Fear wanted to go for a stroll to the park? Kev blinked, more than a little surprised at the suggestion. But, it really did sound lovely... May was a great time for walking through the park, as everything would be in top form. The trees, the flowers, the bushes...everything would be as green as it could get! Little ponds that sparkled...and of course, one couldn't forget the ducks! Kev chuckled lightly, stepping closer to Fear with one hand still steady on the bottles. "Actually...that sounds great." Sit in the park, drink these cold drinks, feed the quacking ducks...it sounded perfect.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:32 pm