Health Bar:
    220/220  (220/220)
    Stamina Bar:
    34/34  (34/34)

Behind the Wall of Sleep

Post by Alasdair & Sutekh on Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:08 pm

September 8th | Year 7 | 03:15

There was nothing.

All that could be seen or felt was a darkness, a special kind of darkness, not one he had felt before. It felt endless and vast with nothing to look at, nothing to hear except what sounded like a soft breeze, nothing at all for the undead to grasp at. Alasdair couldn't even see himself, it was just nothing at all...

Stuck in this endless abyss of nothingness, it felt as though he was falling slowly downwards. Or, perhaps it was upwards? It was very hard to tell without anything to see as reference... Reaching his hand out below him, he felt something thicker than the darkness, murky and cloudy. The closer he got, he could hear voices... at first, they sounded deep, uncomfortable and filled his body with a fear he hadn't felt in some time. The words couldn't be made out by his ears, but the voices continued to to grow in pitch, change and start to  become known.

A man, and a woman. He heard a male voice, and a female, both calling out to him. Their distorted voices seemed to break through the gloom and darkness as a small speckle of light shimmered in the abyss. It was always good going towards the light, right...? Right. Alasdair moved his arms and body, acting as if he were swimming, and went towards the light. It grew bigger very slowly, and the voices became clearer.

"Alasdair? Can you hear me?"

"Yo Al! Come on! Wake up!"

Yeah... those were definitely familiar.

Reaching out to the opening of light, his hand disappeared through it as the voices were crystal clear, as if tugging at him and bringing him from this darkness that plagued him.

Alasdair opened his eyes, and found himself staring at a ceiling, candles surrounding him and barely lighting the room around him. The walls reminded me of western cabins, as he saw a deer skin displayed along with the head of a stag that appeared to stare at him. For a moment, he could hear nothing, and saw nothing in color. His mind seemed to attempt to focus, his vision blurring for a moment as everything started to spring with color, and muffled noises were heard around him.

"... What... happened?" the undead managed to speak, but his words were weak and quiet.

"Finally! I've been trying to wake you up, man!" To his left, he saw Sutekh, who's wrists dripped with blood. Al's lip curled for a moment as he attempted to sit up, and was given help by Lunette, who was to his right side. Sitting up, he saw he was inside a sort of magic circle and indeed surrounded by few candles, a small mortar and pestle, and what looked like a blood smeared across the floor--specifically Sutekh's blood. "Oh, Alasdair... we were so worried! I thought we lost you..." Lunette hugged him, purposely avoiding contact with his face which had some kind of blood rune on it.

"Wh... what? Why is there blood--and this circle? And..." Alasdair blinked, confused and becoming overwhelmed at what possibly could've taken place. Had he gone insane? Had he lost his tag and killed? His hands gripped his neck, nearly ripping through his dry skin as he clutched the spell tag that still hung around his neck. A small sigh of relief escaped him as he realized he was being hugged--and promptly returned it. "What's going on?" he asked again, this time in a calmer tone, but with worry still in his words.

"You just... blacked out." Lunette nodded, still holding him lovingly as Sutekh continued. "We were in the apartment and you just... you fell down. I thought you were playing a prank on me at first, but... you weren't responding. To anything. I couldn't..." the beast's words trailed off as he looked down, uncertainty across his face, "... I couldn't sense anything in your body--no soul, no mind, no awareness of any kind?..." He had obviously been scared by the predicament, to which Al smiled a bit. It was rare seeing Sutekh worried, but Al would sometimes forget how caring he could be!

"Veskur and Sutekh helped you to wake up, dear. You should be okay in the long run, but you might feel a little... detached," Lunette stated as she began stroking Alasdair's hair. "... I don't remember anything, though... I don't even remember where I was or where I am? We're... still on Portal Breach, right?" Lunette nodded, and Sutekh responded, "yeah. We're still here. You've been out for a few months, man."

"MONTHS??"
    "A couple... like, 3? I can't really keep up with time much anymore..."
    Months? How could he have been out for months? Surely he was only out for... a few hours? Maybe a few days?... "I don't understand--what even happened? How did I lose consciousness for three months?" Sutekh shrugged, wiping the blood from his wrists, "something about a disconnection with your self. Like, your soul is trying to pass on, but it's tethered to your body. I'm pretty sure that spell tag is what put you into an unconscious state, but it also kept you here, so..."

Disconnection... Alasdair had felt that before.
    He had been brought to the hospital because he had collapsed. "I don't understand why, though." "I don't know, either. I did notice you had been a little... out of it lately." That was true... but he hadn't thought it'd be enough to nearly die. Lunette placed a cloth over his face and removed the blood, holding Alasdair's head up with her hand under his chin, "Veskur had gone out to find a few special herbs to put into a mixture he and Sutekh created to bring you back. It took a few weeks to find all of them, but they managed to, thankfully." Sighing and squishing Al's cheeks, Lunette let go of him and stood up, stepping out of the room with the dirty cloth. As Alasdair looked around, he couldn't help but notice the lack of Veskur around...

"Before you ask, no, he didn't sacrifice himself or anything."
    "Eh?"
    "He was encouraged to leave, and freely come back, whenever he felt like. Decided to just give it a shot and so he left!"
    "Oh... why didn't Lunette go with him?"
    Sutekh snorted and cracked a grin, "guess she'd rather waste her time here! I dunno!" Standing up and placing his jacket back on, Sutekh held out his hand to Al, who accepted, and was brought up with little effort. Legs shaking, it felt hard to balance, and his body felt heavier than usual. "You gotta get used to moving around again, but you should be okay."

Holding onto the beastman's hand, Alasdair looked around as he was lead out and into a rather nice cabin, furnished with western styled furnishings. "Huh, where are we? I don't remember this place... should I?" Sutekh shook his head as he lead Alasdair to a couch to sit, "no, never been here before. After I brought you to Veskur and Lunette, they brought us up here--where she had stayed for a few weeks in the winter, remember?--and kept up with trying to get you back." Alasdair looked down at his feet, feeling a bit guilty... they took time out of their lives to assist him, and though he was immensely grateful, he felt like something bad had transpired while unconscious. He would ask, in time, but for now, his whole body felt foreign to him, and it'd take a few days to understand it again.

"No one left because of you, if that helps."
    "No, not really... but thanks."

Taking a seat on the floor next to the couch, Sutekh reached over and patted Al's back a bit harshly, neary causing him to fall off the couch. "Ehh, it's all good. Things happen. Now we can get back to the city and see everyone, yeah? Tell 'em you're okay and we're still alive and kickin'!... Well, I am, at least." Smiling at his joke, he was the only one as Alasdair looked at him in a pessimistic light. "Mm... yeah." Did they even leave a note explaining what had happened? Was everything with everyone alright in general? Alasdair's head seemed to prod and poke at the more negative parts than usual, despite trying his hardest to ignore it. Placing his hands over his face, he fell over on the cushion into a fetal position, curling up and making himself as small as possible. Sutekh attempted several times to say something encouraging, but everytime, he stopped, and felt it wouldn't help.

Instead, he stood, and gave his friend one last pat before heading elsewhere in the cabin.

For some reason, Alasdair felt an urge to cry. He hadn't felt something like that in the longest time, and he wasn't sure if it was out of sadness or some other reason. He just needed to... but couldn't. Alasdair simply laid there, trying to function at all, his mind swirling with questions and guilt. There needed to be a break through--whatever was inside the abyss that he occupied apparently for a few months must still be with him, and he tried to keep his mind clear.

"One... two... three... four... five..." The undead counted quietly to himself, mumbling softly through his hands as he counted all the way up to the hundreds... two hundreds... 15 minutes passed, then 30... then an hour, as he kept his counting process, all the way up to, "one thousand..." Where he stopped, and fell silent.

It didn't feel the same. It didn't feel right.
    His body felt weird, and he felt weird, too.
    Was waking up the best choice? Maybe they should've removed the spell tag...
    Maybe...

"... One... two... three..."
    It began again.
    Lunette
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 6

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    15/15  (15/15)
    Health Bar:
    120/120  (120/120)
    Stamina Bar:
    16/16  (16/16)

Re: Behind the Wall of Sleep

Post by Lunette on Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:20 pm

September 9th | Year 7 | 06:55

"I think it might be for the best."
    "Do you really think that...?"

Thoughts were such a hard thing to ignore when they were constantly prodding you and reminding you of things one would wish to forget. That was the thing about thoughts; they were so abundant and hard to control, it was no wonder most people went crazy from overthinking.

Lunette hoped she wouldn't be one of those people. There was still a lot of guilt and sadness that wanted to come through, but she never allowed it. She had no reason to feel such negative things... none at all. Even if her mind wanted her to think so. She could only let out a deep sigh, trying to push away her thoughts as she heard Alasdair mumbling. Looking down, the undead was cuddled up with her, his head in her chest as she gave his head gentle strokes, fingers going through his hair. Hugging him tightly, Lunette purred, trying her best to comfort him after his ordeal.

Of all the things she could say or do, nothing really came to mind. And she hated it. Her friend was basically dead for nearly 3 months, and she couldn't do anything but sit there as Veskur and Sutekh ran around in a desperate attempt to save Alasdair. The only thing she did was sit there and feel helpless. Yes, she did often mix whatever needed mixing, or tried her best to keep Al comfortable, despite his comatose state. This... this was all she could do. Lovingly cradle him in her embrace and let him know things were fine now.

"You feel less cold than you were a few hours ago... how do you feel, dear?" Lunette asked softly, her hand brushing against Alasdair's forehead and lifting him from her chest. He looked... hm. He looked better. The undead simply blinked and gave her a tired look as he seemed to struggle to find the words to answer her. "... I... I'm okay." His body becoming heavy once more, his face fell back down, and Lunette kept a firm hold on him. "Rest as long as you need, dear..."

The mumbling returned a few minutes later, and, after a deep sigh, Lunette continued to stroke Alasdair's head. Between the muffled counting, the few birds chirping and what sounded like a faucet dripping somewhere in the cabin, it was relatively quiet, and it wasn't something she enjoyed.

"Yes, I do... After everything that's happened..."
    "All of this was a mistake."

"No, no, no."
    Placing a hand on her face, Lunette fidgeted in her spot and frowned, an emotional whirlwind feeling like it was about to kick-up. To cry or to scream... To punch or to break something... Her nails nearly dug into her own fur until Alasdair looked up at her, half dazed, half concerned.

"Do you want to count with me...?"
    "Huh?"
    "... When I get upset. Or can't think right. I count..."

Moving her hand from her forehead, Lunette placed both onto Alasdair's face, squeezing him a bit and giving him a soft smile. "Sure... it's better than thinking."

As they both became a bit more comfortable, Alasdair resumed his own counting as Lunette began hers mentally, keeping her eyes closed and breathing as calmly as possible.

She'd count to at least 430 before finally falling asleep, and feeling a little less... overwhelmed.
    Alasdair & Sutekh
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Level : 17

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    25/25  (25/25)
    Health Bar:
    220/220  (220/220)
    Stamina Bar:
    34/34  (34/34)

Post by Alasdair & Sutekh on Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:56 pm

September 16th | 16:21 | Year 7

It had been a week, and progress was slow.

Alasdair kept fading in and out, falling unconscious randomly and for a few hours at a time. First, it was around 6 hours, but with each sudden episode, the time became shorter and shorter, until they eventually stopped altogether. While under these moments of unconsciousness, Alasdair attempted control over himself, and mind, carefully trying to mend his broken mind back together in meditation and thought. It was difficult, and he hadn't grasped the ability to control the blackouts to go back into a deep meditative state, but it was a process that would take time. For now, Alasdair felt a little at ease able to focus and "stay awake" consistently once more, and celebrated by testing how long he could read a book without fainting.

Ten hours, and two books later, Alasdair was still coherent and alert.
    "I guess they finally stopped..." A small cloud of dust escaped his mouth as he sighed in relief. Placing the now finished book on the nightstand next to him, the undead dragged himself out of his room to look around for Sutekh or Lunette. Neither were there, but were courteous enough to leave a note near the front door. "Hmm..." scratching his head and picking up the paper, he read it quickly, and scratched his cheek idly. "Back at home, huh?" Looking at the date, it was two days ago, and both of his friends had left to take care of their own lives and get them back on track.

Judging from the look of the room, however, someone came back yesterday, surely. Everything had been cleaned, replaced and moved into place perfectly. It had to have been Lunette, and as he recalled the other day, he could hear her voice whispering softly in his ear, "feeling" her brush his hair from his eyes... Alasdair firmly nodded to himself, certain of his memory. It had failed him a few times in the past, but his mind felt... renewed, almost. Things came to him a bit easier... maybe this was what he needed to do--to figure out and control...

Fingers fidgeted and crumpled up the note in anxiousness, thinking about leaving this small log sanctuary... reentering society and saying "hello" to everyone once more. He had been gone so long! The note had mentioned everyone had been worried, too, but relieved to know that they were alright. "... Shouldn't be too hard." Alasdair would certainly have to catch up with everyone and apologize. He didn't mind the thought, missing hearing everyone have conversations and act silly or witness something... questionable. It was better than being alone up here...

Books were great, but they couldn't replace friends.

Before leaving, Alasdair cleaned up his mess of books and papers, made sure everything was in its place, and locked the cabin up tightly and securely, just in case any of them would need to come back. Looking once more at his temporary home and surroundings, Alasdair began his long walk back down the mountains, through the forest and into the city.

"I hope the library is still there..."

This thread is complete and may be locked.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:21 am