Defense Bar:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Health Bar:
    450/450  (450/450)
    Stamina Bar:
    80/80  (80/80)

Filling in the Blanks: The Field Test

Post by Barney Calhoun on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:08 am

(At a currently unspecified date & time in the past)

The first time they met, they'd run into each other in the woods.  He'd been trying to clear his head.  She'd been hunting for "ingredients," and he, big, dumb goody-two-shoes that he was, asked if he could help.  

They met up several more times that summer, usually because she'd asked him along on some search or another.  Things were decidedly platonic - she reminded him too much of Alyx and Terra, more of an energetic kid sister than a potential crush, and she... well, she seemed to be completely oblivious to that kind of thing.  But, it was nice getting out into the sun and the fresh air, with somebody who didn't know all of his baggage and who was just happy to have someone that listened to them babble endlessly about magic (that all went right over his head).  Trouble rarely reared it's ugly head.

This time was... a little different.  

"You want me to do what now?"

D'nea held up a small flask, about the size of her thumb, filled with a lavender colored, translucent liquid that glowed faintly.  "I'm going to drink this.  And then, assuming my insides don't melt, I want you to hit me."

"Why."

"So I can see if this Shield potion works.  Obviously."

She'd brought them to an open field near the edge of the woods, one that bordered a pond.  'Just in case,' she'd said.  He was wishing he'd asked 'in case of what' a little sooner and, overall, liking this plan less and less the more he heard of it.

"Did... did you just say your insides might melt?"

"I was being mostly facetious."

"Okay, see, it's that mostly part that's got me worried."

"Listen, don't worry about it, it'll be fine.  Just pretend I didn't say anything.  You ready?"

"For your insides to melt?  Yeah, I'm not ever gonna be ready for that."

"Great!  Here goes!"  Flicking the stopper off the top of the flask before he could object, Dee tossed the concoction back like a shot.

Barney braced himself, wishing... well, for a lot of things, actually.   First, that 'bracing himself for the horrifying consequences of experiments involving forces beyond his understanding' was not practically second nature by now, and secondly, that she'd just been yanking his chain about it, because he honestly could not tell with her sometimes.

Last edited by Barney Calhoun on Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
    D'nea Greenhand
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Level : 5

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    100/100  (100/100)
    Stamina Bar:
    15/15  (15/15)

Re: Filling in the Blanks: The Field Test

Post by D'nea Greenhand on Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:53 pm

It felt like a little shiver of cool water flowing down from her head to her toe, catching a lift without tying itself to her veins until it had settled into the surface of her skin.  Which was what it was supposed to do.  So far so good, and nobody's insides were melting yet.  Not that she was particularly worried about her insides melting - she was about 95% confidant that, if it happened, she could reverse the spell before any serious damage occurred.  But, she was definitely not letting anyone else test this stuff out until she was 100% positive there were no inadvertently harmful side effects.

Dee took a deep breath, and lifted a hand up to her face to inspect the results.  There weren't any dramatic visuals, just a kind of violet shimmer overlaying her skin, only really visible if you caught the light the right way.  "Hmmm.  I'm not sure if that's good, or bad."  Maybe she should try to up the visual output, so the person using the potion knew it was working?  Or maybe this was okay - so long as the shield worked, then it might be better to have it low-key?  

Eh.  She could focus-test later.

Turning to Barney, she flashed him a bright smile and a thumbs up.  "Okay, looks good.  

"Now, hit me."

----

((OoC: This is just fluff to explain up a shield potion - application coming soon. Standard shield/armor, nothing fancy in this trial version. Since it's only a field test, and he's a big ol' softie, Barney'll be using the 1-5 tier dice, assuming she can convince him to give it a try.))
    Barney Calhoun
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Level : 40

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    45/45  (45/45)
    Health Bar:
    450/450  (450/450)
    Stamina Bar:
    80/80  (80/80)

Post by Barney Calhoun on Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:22 am

Damn it, why was he always stuck playing the straight man to mad scientists with their crazy experiments?  Don't worry, Barney.  Just flip the switch, Barney.  Go turn that dial, Barney.  The cat will be fine, Barney.  

The former security guard folded his arms, and eyed the new Dr Frankenstein to his old, tired Igor.  "I dunno, I feel like I should get you to sign a waiver or something first."

The mage rolled her eyes.  "I'm not asking you to, like, deck me or anything-"

"Good to specify."

"-I just need you to hit me hard enough that, y'know, I'd feel it.  If I wasn't shielded.  Which I am.  Hopefully.  See, it's a test."  D'nea held up her hands, palms towards him, and took what she probably thought was a sturdy pose.  "Here, just... punch my hand or something."

Barney hesitated for another solid second, then sighed and rubbed the back of his neck.  Why was he hung up on this?  It's not like she was asking him to kick her ass or something.  Maybe it was just the flippant way she was acting about it, that made him question if she quite understood how people tended to start off kind of, well, fragile around here, and got stronger over time.  She was acting like she was indestructible, and that made him uneasy.  Maybe that was it.  

But it wasn't his job to baby sit her.  He'd tried... well.  Nevermind.  Suffice to say, past experience proved he wasn't any good at protecting people.  But, this shield thing, if it worked, maybe it'd keep her out of the trouble she was bound to get into with that kind of attitude.

"Alright, alright."  He stepped closer, squaring up with her.  Dee gave him an encouraging grin, and braced herself, hands out.  

If there was one thing he was good at, it was hitting people... and gauging how hard he was actually hitting them.
    System
    Portal Master

Portal Master

Level : ??

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    100000/100000  (100000/100000)
    Health Bar:
    Stamina Bar: