60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

The Longest Night

Post by Bruce Wayne on Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:55 am

TIME: 2:23 AM
    DATE: 03|17|0008

"Bruce!"

The car careened helplessly to the left. Bruce threw all of his strength at the wheel, feeling the pressurized systems inside heave at his forceful wishes. There was nothing he could do; he didn't have the time to engage his defense mechanisms and the solid Chesterfield Apartment complex stood directly in his path. He braced for impact and threw his arms in front of his face instinctively, missing the bright flash of blue that engulfed himself and his automobile.

"Bruce, are you there?! Your vitals aren't looking very good, and the Batmobile is sending me negative feedback; did you get hi-"

What threw Bruce off about the crash is that the car slammed forward, not to the left, and much harder than he ought to have been going. When he lifted his head to survey the crash, he couldn't see out of the windshield; the holographic HUD was haywire, sparking and flickering an array of nonsense all over the tempered glass. He coughed, glad there wasn't any blood, and leaned back. Taking a moment to catch his breath was something Bruce had only recently been doing and sometimes it paid off, especially when he needed to clear his head. He held his thumb over the dashboard radio return but didn't expect it to work.

"Oracle, it's Bruce. I've sustained only minor injuries; tell Lucius to send the spare car to my location, I'll give you my exact location soon." His arm fell lazily. Maybe minor injuries was an understatement but it wasn't anything that Bruce was concerned about. Leaning against the side of his cockpit he tried to pull the manual disengage on the roof entrance; it didn't work. Gritting his teeth, he grabbed the disengage with both hands, pulling with his arms. Still nothing. Damn. Time for the old fashioned way. He punched upward once, feeling the smashed hinges of the door loosen from his blow. Putting both of hands against it he pushed with all of the strength he could muster in his upper body, listening intently to the metal creaking and breaking. It was only a matter of another square uppercut to disconnect the hatch and send it tumbling to the ground. Grabbing onto the edge of the exit he hoisted himself up and slid down the side of the car, stumbling with trembling legs that quickly stiffened again.

When he regained his composure he realized that he had no idea where he was. None of the buildings around him looked familiar. Some of them had blatantly futuristic displays; the sort of thing you'd find in Metropolis, not Gotham. He put his fingers to his ear to try and get into contact with Barbara.

"Oracle? Do you have a read out on my location? Oracle? Barbara?" Radio silence. A few things began to race through Bruce's head, only making him more frustrated. In his short time working with the Justice League Bruce was not entirely new to the concept of sudden teleportation or world distortion, and quickly realized that there was no way for his allies to contact him. Great. His attention was instead drawn to the Batmobile.

It was one of the sturdiest vehicles on the planet but it was crumpled like a soda can. A fire licked out from under the front hood and bits of glass and metal covered the sidewalk around it; repairs would take weeks, maybe months. Especially without the help of Lucius. Bruce made his way around to the back of the vehicle, and input the security code to access his storage unit. He withdrew a fresh utility belt and simply discarded his current one, putting it on and turning around.

This was going to be a long night.
    Rasa 'Jeqkogoai
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 45

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Re: The Longest Night

Post by Rasa 'Jeqkogoai on Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:22 am

It was the same as it always was; restless tossing and turning, a vacant stare, morose thoughts... Yet another sleepless night to weather, one of many. Rasa 'Jeqkogoai roused from the couch with an irritated grumble and withdrew his covers. "Hopeless," he sighed, the Sangheili's voice low and heavy like the rumble of summer thunder. The alien could not sleep no matter how hard he tried, and to push himself further would only be folly. Exhaling, Rasa 'Jeqkogoai rose to his towering height, an intimidating 8' feet in human measurements, and lumbered down the hallway.

Thoom... Thoom... Thoom...

So great was the force of his steps that the very earth itself shook and quaked beneath his monstrous feet. And to think, the Sangheili had been sneaking. Again, he sighed, largely in disappointment at his clumsy gait. Architecture meant for smaller races had never been considerate to goliaths such as he, and yet Rasa 'Jeqkogoai displayed tolerance. Free room and board made it hard to complain. Quietly (or as quietly as the Sangheili could possibly muster), he inched closer to the master bedroom and gently pushed aside the bedroom door, peering inside. There, sleeping as happily and carefree as a well-fed Unggoy, laid a slumbering Ttone. She had thankfully not stirred from the miniature tremors caused by Rasa 'Jeqkogoai's gigantic feet. Ungodly things... Truly, it was a miracle the alien had survived as long as he did. The Sangheili silently chastised himself, shaking his head, and closed the door with a soft click. Best to let the child sleep, he thought. It had been... a rough year. For the both of them. And of the two, Ttone had been struggling the hardest. Every second of peace counted.

Thinking to himself, the Sangheili returned to the living room of his humble abode and decided to visit the kitchen for a drink. Perhaps some tea will soothe his inner demons, something light on the tongue... mellow. Chamomile? Yes, that's what the humans called it, chamomile tea. He reached into one of the cupboards with an inhuman hand and retrieved a colorful box of bagged tea leaves and spices. Rustle, rustle, rustle... Ah, good! There were still some left. Rasa 'Jeqkogoai took delight in his good fortune, thankful to the gods, and prepared a kettle of lukewarm water on the nearby stove. An odd word, stove... An odd word for an even odder device. How did humans conceive such a primitive, bulky appliance? Fire and gas were barely technological marvels worthy of praise, yet the species as a whole saw no reason to improve this... stove.

Clik... clik... clik...!

FWOOSH!

And lo, let there be light. A happy sigh escaped him, Rasa 'Jeqkogoai looking forward to a nice cup of warm, flavorful tea. As archaic as human technology was, it got the job done just fine. Perhaps that is why they didn't bother to -

CRASH.

"...!?"

The floor shook and a brief flash of tremendous light illuminated the tiny kitchen. What had just...?

"Mister Rasa...? Mister Rasa, are you there? Is everything okay?"

He at once killed the flame and glanced over his shoulder. "Yes, child. I am here. Do not be frightened, we are safe. Please go back to bed." Poor thing must have been frightened by the sudden... whatever it was that had just transpired. Military experience deduced an explosion, but an explosion of what? Though he was loathe to part from the warmth and comfort of his home and to leave Ttone alone, an explosion meant possible injured - or worse - casualties. The dutiful soldier inside him pressed for further investigation. Grumbling, Rasa 'Jeqkogoai left the stove and thundered his way to the front door. Tea will sadly have to wait. "Ttone, I am going to inspect the source of the blast. Please stay inside and fear not; I will return debrief you then."

"...Okay." A pause. "You promise?"

Rasa 'Jeqkogoai's lips pulled into a soft frown. "I promise on the honor of my forefathers," he answered solemnly.

The oath was enough to tide Ttone over, for now, and no further word came from the child. Good, good... This will hopefully be quick. Rasa 'Jeqkogoai threw on a quick jacket and slipped on a pair of sandals, ones specially designed for his unique feet, and hurriedly left his room at the Stock Pot Inn after locking the door tighter than a drum. "Now," the alien muttered under his breath as he briskly strode through the establishment, "let us see what nonsense has befallen the city of Portal Breach this time."

So it had been an explosion... but not in the way Rasa 'Jeqkogoai had imagined.

Fragments of metal lay strewn everywhere, joined by shards of jagged glass and destroyed electronics. Amber eyes studied the crackles of flame licking what appeared to be the underside of a vehicle's hood. A distinctly Earth vehicle, at that. "Hm..." The Sangheili thought little of the detail and canvassed the area for any persons nearby. No apparent signs of blood, no disembodied body parts strewn about, no real casualties other than glaring property damage... From his vantage point across the street, the scene appeared fairly contained. A job for the local ISOs. Eh, perhaps the driver had been under the influence and stupidly crashed. It was known to happen, sadly. With nothing else to surmise, the colossal alien decided it time to return home and -

Crunch!

...Or not, as the driver of the totaled vehicle was about to make their grand entrance. Rasa 'Jeqkogoai stood in his tracks and observed as a human male emerged from the wreckage like some sort of cloaked, winged... mammal-bird? He blinked once and then twice. ...No, that was definitely armor. Strange armor, and those were not wings but a billowing cape. How... odd. But again, much like the stove, humans were nothing but. Humored, the alien composed himself and addressed the man from across the way, "Greetings, human. A pity about your terrestrial vehicle. Are you hurt? Do you require medical assistance?" The human didn't look gravely injured but assuming did little to help anyone.
    Bruce Wayne
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Level : 1

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by Bruce Wayne on Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:39 pm

As far as people went; no, as far as creatures went, Bruce was not expecting to find something so completely foreign. Aliens were something that he had done extensive research into for the protection and safety of himself and his allies (some of whom were the very aliens he was so worried about) but none of it prepared him for coming face to face with one in pajamas approaching his destroyed car. Bruce reacted hastily by groping at his belt for a tool, but quickly realized that this creature was not here to harm him. Or, at least, it was improperly equipped to do so.

Bruce said nothing as the alien approached him. He looked as if this accident had not occurred or indeed that he was not face to face with extra-terrestrial life. Again. Even as the Batman he didn't come to quite the monumental height of Rasa'Jeqkogoai but he certainly acted like it, standing with his feet apart and wide shoulders upright. It looked as if he was about to strike a pose and the billowing cape helped with the image but he was nothing except serious. The thought passed him that it was strange that the creature spoke in a recognizable language to him but there were certainly more pressing matters to tend to first.

"I'll be fine." Rolling his broad shoulders, Bruce winced suddenly as he tried to lift his arm. Broken ribs. At least two; possible internal bleeding. His diagnosis immediately reminded him of his trusted ally, Alfred, and how he would try to diagnose Bruce himself over their radio. The eerie silence coming through his earpiece suddenly reminded him that he was not just injured, but stranded. Perfect. He continued on without acknowledging his wounds. "It's nothing. Where am I?"

Important questions, straight to the point. About as blunt and stubborn as usual but his curiosity was warranted. There was a lot on his plate to do tonight - although he supposed he could trust Nightwing to lend a hand to clean out the nightly filth of Gotham's gutters, Bruce had an implicit contract to handle it himself. He wasn't about to let this get in the way if at all possible.

"This isn't Earth, is it? I don't have time for this. Did you bring me here? Are you familiar with the Justice League? Alien life is their business, not mine."
    Rasa 'Jeqkogoai
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by Rasa 'Jeqkogoai on Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:18 am

Reptilian pupils narrowed into black slivers, amber reflecting the fire's bright, warm glow. A trained warrior was he, Rasa 'Jeqkogoai, and the Sangheili knew a defensive stance when he saw it. What had the human thought to do, he wondered? This man... This caped spectre... Surely the human wasn't so arrogant as to withdraw a weapon, a tool of war, within city limits? A curt snort escaped Rasa 'Jeqkogoai's throat as his nostrils billowed at the human's bravado. The alien was largely... unimpressed with the display.

"This isn't Earth, is it? I don't have time for this. Did you bring me here? Are you familiar with the Justice League? Alien life is their business, not mine."

Ah, this would explain everything. The human was fairly new.

"No," answered the Sangheili, tone level. "No, this is not Earth and I did not bring you here. You are on Portal Breach, the collision of worlds." Though the human may not have time for such otherworldly shenanigans, that was unfortunately too bad. He will simply have to make time like the rest of them. Rasa 'Jeqkogoai calmly shook his large, monstrous head. "I am unfamiliar with this... Justice League, and they do not exist here. Or, if they do, I have never heard of them before." There was... something in the way this human addressed the Sangheili; something disdainful, perhaps. It was evident in the man's addressing of 'alien life'. How... nettlesome, but not uncommon. "As I stated," Rasa 'Jeqkogoai continued, "this is Portal Breach and you have been taken by the likes of its reigning deity, Portal-X. The world you know, Earth and everything and everyone on it... is gone. There is no going back. This is now your home. I welcome you." Succinct and simple enough to comprehend; the human should have little difficulty parsing the Sangheili's words. The subject matter was an entirely different beast, however... And one the human may not take a liking to.

For now, Rasa 'Jeqkogoai stood contently on his side of the street, mandibles softly rubbing against themselves as he studied the human's body language most curiously. Will the man fight? Will he deny or stubbornly cling to the memory of the world he once knew? Whatever the man chose, Rasa 'Jeqkogoai was prepared for the inevitable reaction or lack thereof.

Seconds ticked idly by and fell into oblivion...
    Bruce Wayne
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by Bruce Wayne on Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:42 am

(( Sorry for how late this is! Just busy this week with midterms is all ))

Adapting was something Bruce was fairly good at but it wasn't something he was hoping to do often. Of course, the whims of fate were rarely in anyone's hands. Not even the Batman could do so much as argue against his current situation. He was here now so here he would remain. But trapped and compliant were two very different things, and Bruce would turn out to be very unwilling to sit quietly. Later, that is. For now he would have to come to terms with this Portal Breach and it's overseer, Portal-X the Alien relayed. Bruce rose an eyebrow slightly in contemplation; it wasn't a name that he was familiar with but there was plenty in the vast universe - or rather, multiverse - that was simply unaware of. He silently lamented over his situation. This would all be so much easier of Superman were chosen instead of himself.

As real as his current situation is (as far as he could tell), Bruce was naturally skeptical of what followed. Earth, destroyed? Without him knowing about it? Without the league knowing about it? Ridiculous, but the alien said so in earnest, unless it was some kind of foreign sardonic sarcasm that he was just not receptive to. Truth be told, Bruce wasn't entirely receptive to earthly humor, either.

"Right. Portal Breach." He took another moment to look around. This place, wherever it was, Portal Breach or otherwise, was both completely estranged and yet reminded him albeit faintly of home. Gotham City. The streets were brightly light in a myriad of cybernatural ways and speckled with strange futuristic trappings that Bruce couldn't really decipher at just a glance. But in some ways, it was just like every other city. Dark with the night. Quiet with the night. Aside from the small fires of his car crackling occasionally and perhaps stirring, urchinous street life, the two of them were nearly in silence between sentences.

He was at a loss for what to do.

"What happens now?"
    Rasa 'Jeqkogoai
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by Rasa 'Jeqkogoai on Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:57 am

"What happens now?"

That was the million dollar question, wasn't it? The answer was valued little more than a buck and some change. "You survive," Rasa 'Jeqkogoai's voice rumbled across the street. Vague, simplistic, curt; the perfect mixture for a cocktail of frustration. Truly, the alien wasn't a prime candidate for Portal-Mart greeter. He was, however, helpful. "There is a hospital," the alien continued, pointing one of his long, slender fingers north, "and it is free of charge. The care is exquisite and the personnel uphold their vocations with honor. The establishment also sells medical supplies if you'd rather skip the attention." A useful tidbit, no? Assuming the human felt comfortable enough to take Rasa 'Jeqkogoai's advice. Doctors and blood were a point of... contention with the Sangheili, but even he recognized the former's worth to the community. "As for your terrestrial vehicle..." Amber eyes took a quick assessment of the totaled automobile. "There is a mechanic within city limits," he resumed, "but I am uncertain if they specialize in this matter. You may wish to consult with the city's telephone directory; there are several at the local inn."

Again, the alien pointed, but this time to the south. "Stock Pot Inn has free room and board should you need it, and the service is above and beyond. It is a good place of residence - temporary or permanent." Rasa 'Jeqkogoai had a funny feeling, just a small one, that the caped human male would decline the offer. Something about the man seemed... off; mistrusting. "Do you require more information, human?" Ah, old habits die hard.

((No worries, Justin! I was also away on bid'ness.))
    Bruce Wayne
    Megabyte

Megabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    10/10  (10/10)
    Health Bar:
    60/60  (60/60)
    Stamina Bar:
    11/11  (11/11)

Post by Bruce Wayne on Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:54 pm

If Bruce could do one thing, it surely would be to survive.

It was without a doubt that Rasa was helpful, and Bruce appreciated the succinct quality of his new alien acquaintance. He was already annoyed and somewhat disheveled from the news of his new home and anyone more energetic or overly comforting would have definitely garnered his ire. The hospital was a noted suggestion, if this truly was some alien land, they likely wouldn't recognize Bruce Wayne to begin with. He was probably not going to stop there but the sentiment was accepted. He definitely was more likely to visit to buy those supplies, but that was getting ahead of himself.

His car was definitely a priority. As the Sangheili told him of the dire situation concerning his trademark mobile Bruce took another glance over his shoulder at it. While it may not likely be moving anywhere, it was certainly stocked with the amenities he needed to live out of it for the time being, as strange as that was going to be. His first instinct was to respond to the idea of an inn with distaste, but maybe a real bed would be nice.

"No, I'm... thank you. I don't know what has happened her tonight, I still don't understand what any of this is or means, but you have been very kind to me so far." It never hurt to be friendly. At least, not literally.

"How many people end up here like this?"
    Rasa 'Jeqkogoai
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    50/50  (50/50)
    Health Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Stamina Bar:
    90/90  (90/90)

Post by Rasa 'Jeqkogoai on Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:28 pm

Huh, it seemed the human was gradually becoming more amenable to the circumstances surrounding him. An unexpected but not unwelcome change. The tension in Rasa 'Jeqkogoai's shoulders eased and his posture relaxed. "Everyone," was the Sangheili's straightforward answer. "Everyone you will meet, from myself to the other humans like you, have all been displaced from their homes and brought here. Many against their will. No one has found a way back." Not that the alien would advise doing so; go back to what, exactly? Oblivion? He shook his head at the thought, "Hm... a situation that vexes the nerves, but the populace is alive and largely without strife. We simply make the most with what we have. You will understand in time." Citizens usually did.

Usually.

This human seemed mentally fit - strange tastes in apparel notwithstanding.

"You are most welcome." Though monstrous in appearance and perhaps unsettling to the human eye, Rasa 'Jeqkogoai wasn't without civilized decorum. He bowed his head, mandibles clasped together. "You will find that most who call Portal Breach home are good people. They are like you and I, trying to survive in a strange, alien world. Beware the Outer District, however. You will not find much decency there." If anything other than crime and the criminals not far ahead. "Alas..." Amber eyes gazed down the vacant street before the human and the alien, the latter's thoughts held elsewhere. "I must leave you now," said Rasa 'Jeqkogoai, "but know that you are not alone, nor are you bereft of support. Should you wish to speak again, you may find me at the Stock Pot Inn; my room number is 108. Good eve to you, human, and may you survive well."

And thus, the lumbering alien turned away from the caped man and the fiery wreckage that was once his terrestrial automobile, heavy footsteps - thoom... thoom... thoom... - echoing into the night. It was time to see if Ttone had behaved herself and not swiped a treat from the cookie jar.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:20 pm