Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Unique Circumstances

Post by Spenst on Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:30 pm

DATE: APRIL 3RD, 0008
    TIME: APPROX. 8:30 PM

Words could not describe just how much Spenst positively loathed daylight savings time. At any other time of the year, he and his wife would have been able to make a trip to the hospital much earlier than this. But still, what else can you do when you have a fatal allergy to sunlight? It wasn't as if the Ectonurite had any choice in the matter. At least they were able to get this done regardless.

The whole way to the hospital, the ghostly alien mulled over how he would even begin to explain their situation to the hospital staff. If the incident at the Drive-In with Knock Out was any indication, then he was very painfully obviously not good at this kind of thing. Fortunately, though, his mummy partner agreed to do the talking for him. She really was a lifesaver!

And so the couple finally entered the hospital. They were, however, unsure of where exactly they needed to go for this kind of inquiry. After some deliberation, they decided that it couldn't hurt to just ask whoever was working up front. They could only assume that it was their job to know where everything was, after all. Well then, here goes nothing!
    Olabisi
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 16

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    25/25  (25/25)
    Health Bar:
    230/230  (230/230)
    Stamina Bar:
    32/32  (32/32)

Re: Unique Circumstances

Post by Olabisi on Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:40 pm

"Hey there," Ola greeted the person up front, arms locked with her husband. She could tell how nervous he was, rubbing him on the shoulder for reassurance. "If you don't mind me asking, my husband and I were wondering where we might go to set up a schedule for prenatal visits. We would've needed those anyways, but we especially need them due to some... unique circumstances."

Feel free to stop her if you've heard this one before!

"You see, we happen to both be pregnant. Yes, that's right, no joke, at just about the exact same time. And yes, we ARE both the biological parents of both babies. You can probably see why we'd need to be absolutely sure that this goes off without a hitch, right?"

The mummy could only hope that enough time had passed after April Fool's day for them not to be accused of joking around. Even if they did think that it was a joke, though, the tests would certainly prove them wrong.
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Level : ??

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:37 pm

Evening was approaching, which meant the man seated at the desk was clutching a styrofoam cup filled with a hot coffee. Between a few keystrokes on his computer, Nurse Floyd would take a swig of his drink and thank the Lord for caffeine. Today had been a long one, and soon he'd be able to crawl home and into bed... But not yet, oh no. For two people had suddenly come inside, and they seemed to make a beeline right for his desk! "Oh boy..." Alright. Up and at 'em. Should be a simple enough case, neither the...bandage woman nor the...grey guy seemed injured.

"You see, we happen to both be pregnant."

Popping the plastic lid off of his cup, Floyd sniffed his drink curiously. Hm, no sign of alcohol. Or any drugs. Just to be safe, he set aside the drink and raised a pinky to rub at his own ear. "I'm sorry, I musta misheard you. Did you say...both?" Surely that was a mistake. Except...nope! Mummy girl was still sticking with that story. The nurse's face scrunched up, looking between the two of them rapidly. This was a joke. A very delayed April Fool's day trick, right? "What'd you think this is, Jerry Springer? You're both pregnant? And you're both the parents? And you're both having a baby around the same time?" What was this? What was this? What was this?

"...You realize that's double the prenatal visits, right? And a lot more complicated than if one of you was having twins. And if this is a trick, you're only wasting your own time." Scoffing lowly, Floyd decided to go along with this in case it was true. And if it turned out to be a trick after all? He'd just pour the hot coffee in their faces. "First thing's first, you both want the same doctor or do you want a doctor for each of you to take care of you, individually? Cause like...what if you both go into labor on the same day? If you have the same doctor, they'll have to juggle between you both." How were...these things born? An egg? He shook his head and narrowed his eyes, focusing.
    Spenst
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Level : 10

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Post by Spenst on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:55 pm

Spenst let out an exasperated sigh. Yup, he totally saw that kind of reaction coming from a mile away. Oh well, and least the guy seemed to believe him despite the initial bewilderment. As the ghostly alien listened to what the nurse had to say, it became increasingly clear that he and his wife had entered a whole new world of complication. True, at least some of that was to be expected, but this much?

"Well, the wife and I were actually speaking with Dr. Shaiamils last night about this at our friend's birthday party," he explained. "He seemed to be interested in delivering them. I'm not sure if he's as experienced in the way of prenatal care as some others here might be, though. Maybe he is?"
    Olabisi
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    25/25  (25/25)
    Health Bar:
    230/230  (230/230)
    Stamina Bar:
    32/32  (32/32)

Post by Olabisi on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:07 pm

"Well, I know for a fact that I'm not having twins," Olabisi assured the nurse. "You see, with my species, for about the first four weeks, we can actually open ourselves up and look in. I only saw one little speck in there. If there was more than one, I would've seen it."

The Thep Khufan looked at her husband for a moment, pondering.

"Hm, but you never know with Spenst here. You'll probably have to do an ultrasound on him. If you wanted to go ahead and rule that out, I'm sure he wouldn't object. Isn't that right, love?"

Her partner nodded in response.

"As for the other things, where do you recommend that we start? We don't really mind who sees us, but with my husband, you'd need to take into account the fact that he can only come out at night and works Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. I, on the other hand, can come in for appointments at just about anytime."
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:07 pm

"If you want a Doctor to deliver the babies, they're usually the same Doctor that's been giving prenatal care." Circumstances were different if say, a patient wanted a home-birth or a midwife. But otherwise? Typically the same Doctor. The nurse shrugged. "I don't know if he is or not, he's never mentioned it, but if you want him to deliver, maybe Dr. Salli and Shai can each be your Doctors. If nothing else, Dr. Salli can give pointers."

As for the mummy's freakish description? Floyd couldn't help the shiver that went down his spine at the description. This woman literally opened herself up to...peek inside of herself and see a speck-baby! Buh! Heeby jeeby central! "Okay. Freaky, but...okay." But as for 'ruling it out' for Spenst? Both eyebrows shot up as the man looked the two of them over. "Exactly how many weeks pregnant are you two? Cause I don't think we can rule that out yet." They didn't look like they were that far along...

"As for the other things, where do you recommend that we start?"

This was going to be a long night. The man took in a very deep, long drink of his coffee, Adam's apple bobbing as he gulped. Only when he finished his coffee off and chunked it into a trash can beneath his desk did he answer. "Well, I can take you in the back and let you sit in a room. Dr. Salli can come see ya, and you guys can talk that over. But you two need to provide some information about...whatever you guys are. Cause prenatal exams are all about the health of the baby, and the both of you. And we've never had a pregnant mummy, let alone one that can take a peek inside of themselves to see the baby. So, you're gonna have to help us figure out what kind of exams you're gonna need. For example, I don't think you or the baby are gonna need tests for anemia." He gestured in Olabisi's direction. If there was blood in those bandages, somehow, he wasn't gonna take it out! Ew!
    Spenst
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Post by Spenst on Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:28 pm

Spenst couldn't help but chuckle a bit at the nurse's description of his wife's biology as "freaky."

"Sir, where we come from, humans are the 'freaky' ones. Most of our people were notoriously xenophobic. I promise you that isn't the case with us, though." The ghostly alien scratched awkwardly behind his head. This next part was going to be a doozy for him, wasn't it? "Well, as strange as it may sound, we're both only a week along."

He could already see the look of confusion on the nurse's face.

"And before you ask how we can possibly know so soon: My wife has already explained to you how she knows, but as for me? X was involved in the conception of these babies... No, not in THAT way. He just helped us orchestrate this whole thing."
    Olabisi
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    25/25  (25/25)
    Health Bar:
    230/230  (230/230)
    Stamina Bar:
    32/32  (32/32)

Post by Olabisi on Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:36 pm

"What he said," Ola added in response to her husband's explanation. "Oh, Dr. Salli's here? Yeah, we can go back. She's really nice; took care of me when I was found passed out in the woods years ago."

As nice as the robotic doctor was, though, the mummy did not particular like reminiscing on the events which had landed her in the hospital in the first place. It was... terrifying, to say the least.

"You're right about me not having any blood, by the way; not a drop in my body. You'd definitely have better luck in collecting bodily fluids from Spenst here. It's not your typical blood by any means, but it's something alright."
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:18 pm

Floyd's eyebrows raised up. "Okay, alright. Perspective." It wasn't often that the human man heard about the alien perspective. Especially from a...kinda speciest angle. Glad to know these two weren't jerks? A random detail to learn, and one that was quickly forgotten about once they revealed how far along they were. "A week? A week?! How in the hell-?" If the nurse hadn't already swallowed, he would have spit out his drink! "Putting aside this...immaculate conception, you realize your fetuses are like...way too small to even see on an ultrasound? I don't think we can even do any exams!" This was officially the weirdest pregnancies he'd been a part of, and for multiple reasons.

Groaning softly, the man dragged his hand down his own face. "Well...I guess this can be considered a consultation? Setting up future appointments, should give Salli and Shai time to get ready for you two." Aaand he was correct about the mummy not having blood. How does one take samples from a mummy woman? Deciding to forgo that thought path, Floyd decided to leave that up to the Doctors. He was just the nurse, after all! He rose from his chair and waved the couple to follow along. The nurse lead the way through a pair of swinging doors, and down a very clean hallway lined with many doors. There was a soft murmur across the floor, enough noise to keep the hospital from sounding like a ghost town. Floyd seemed to pick a room at random and opened the doorway for Olabisi and Spenst to enter. "Just wait in here, and the Doctor should be in to talk with you in a moment." The nurse disappeared as the door was shut once again, leaving the two alone in the room.

It was a typical examination room, with a couple of chairs along the wall and a soft exam table covered by wax paper. Several medical posters were plastered on the walls and a nearby counter seemed to hold several medical supplies. The sound of clicking heels announced the arrival of Dr. Salli. True to the nurse's word, the couple were only for only a couple of minutes before the robotic Doctor stepped through the doorway to see them. With a clipboard in her hands, she raised her optics to meet their eyes and gave the two a pleasant smile. "Hello again, Olabisi. Nurse Floyd tells me you are both one week pregnant, interested in planning future exams, and preparing for the eventual delivery?" The situation was perplexing, but the gynoid wasn't nearly as overt about her shock. The nurse's explanation regarding the situation had been quite amusing.
    Spenst
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Post by Spenst on Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:53 pm

Spenst could see the look on his partner's face. It was a look that he was all too familiar with. She very obviously wanted to inform the nurse that the conception was far from immaculate. Figuring that the poor guy had already heard enough weirdness for the day, the Ectonurite had mercy and urged her not to speak her mind. Though his wife was visibly disappointed, she fortunately understood where he was coming from.

"Too early to see on an ultrasound? That's a shame," he lamented as they both entered the examination room. "I guess we just have to roll with it, though. What choice do we have, after all?"
    Olabisi
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    25/25  (25/25)
    Health Bar:
    230/230  (230/230)
    Stamina Bar:
    32/32  (32/32)

Post by Olabisi on Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:59 pm

"Hey now. Lighten up, will you?" Olabisi pulled her husband into a tight hug. He had clearly been looking forward to seeing their baby for the first time. "You're gonna see it eventually. That baby's not going anywhere anytime soon."

...Or at least she hoped that it wouldn't be. But there was NO way that she was going to say such a thing out loud with Spenst in the room. The alien already had enough on his mind as is. This was not a time to be having those kinds of thoughts.

"Hey there, Dr. Salli," she greeted the robot standing before them. "I can see that you still remember me from all those years ago. But that isn't important right now. What is important is that you are correct. It would be wonderful if we could go ahead and set everything up."
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:49 pm

Again, the robotic Doctor gave Olabisi a pleasant smile. "I remember all of my patients." She informed the alien with a chipper tone. It had definitely been a while since she had seen Olabisi, however, and what an occasion to see her again! Sifting through the information on her clipboard, she read the notes that Nurse Floyd had scribbled for her regarding these two. "To start with, you both will need to come back during your fourth week of pregnancy to draw blood for testing." Here, she paused and looked to Olabisi. "Though in your case...I suppose we can skip that."

"This visit will not be for nothing, however. I have questions regarding your biology, and I'm sure you have questions as well. For starters, I see that you cannot be out during the daytime?" Salli's head swiveled to face Spenst, some concern written across her metal face. "We can accommodate you, but what level of brightness can you withstand? If possible, we can dim the lights when we visit and especially during the delivery." She'd hate for something awful to happen. "How long do pregnancies for your species tend to last? Are there any diseases, infections, or birth defects we will have to look out for or test that are common for your kind? Any medications either of you are taking, or medical allergies? And what sort of diet would be the healthiest for your kind? It will be very important during your pregnancies that you are both getting a variety of vitamins that will lead to the growth of a healthy baby. I may prescribe supplements for you both to take, but because you two are aliens, it will be...a bit difficult to calculate." Clicking the top of her pen, Dr. Salli looked ready to take notes of their answers!
    Spenst
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Post by Spenst on Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:28 pm

It was hard for Spenst to suppress a groan at the revelation that he would need to have invasive lab work while his wife wouldn't. While he wasn't scared of being poked with needles by any means, it still made him a little nervous, and he definitely likes to skip that part whenever feasibly possible. It was hard not be be just a little be jealous with his mummy partner at this point.

"Yes, it is correct that I cannot be out in sunlight. It will actually kill me. Ola, however, is completely unbothered by the sun." The Ectonurite squinted at various light fixtures in the exam room. "While artificial light like this is harmless to me, I still can't look directly at it without squinting, and looking at it for too long can even give me headaches or migraines. This eye sensitivity unfortunately tends to get worse in the later months of pregnancy. As such, dimmed lights during delivery would be much appreciated."

Spenst looked away from the light, rubbing his eyes.

"Both of our species are pregnant for about nine months, like humans. With that in mind, Ola and I are guessing that they'll arrive sometime in the last week of December or the first week of January. As for birth defects..." The ghostly alien had to think for a moment. "My species uses the term defect very, VERY loosely. We're kind of a diverse species, if you will. Having more or less than two eyes, having eyes in places other than the face, having an exposed skull, upside-down skull, spines, or even multiple heads? Those are all things that we consider normal and are no cause for concern on an ultrasound."

He shuddered.

"I suppose I should consider myself lucky that the last one doesn't run in my family. Spines, however..." Spenst pointed out his shoulders, elbows, and the back of his hands. "But anyways, we're only ever concerned if something shows up that would severely impede their quality of life or make living very long after birth impossible. You know, things like a complete absence of vital organs, or vital organs developing outside the body."

This was a lot to explain! Oh well, at least he was able to move on to the more lighthearted details.

"And no, Ola and I do not have any food or medicine allergies, at least not that we're aware of. As far as diets go, my species has a fairly low metabolism and usually only needs to eat once a day. When we're pregnant, however, we do need to eat more. Supplements would probably come in handy, especially once the morning sickness starts. We also have a low body temperature to match the low metabolism, so don't be concerned if I have a temperature significantly lower than 98 degrees. I think that covers everything with me?"

Last edited by Spenst on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Olabisi
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    25/25  (25/25)
    Health Bar:
    230/230  (230/230)
    Stamina Bar:
    32/32  (32/32)

Post by Olabisi on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:01 pm

"The only thing I can think of that might be cause for concern is... Do you mind if I show you?" Olabisi lifted her shirt so that the doctor could see. "You see that faint light in the cracks of my bandages in the abdomen area here? That's what we want to see. That light will get brighter the further along I am. If it doesn't, though? That's usually not a good sign, especially if it seems to be getting dimmer."

The mummy sighed. She hated having to think about these kinds of things.

"That could either mean delays in development, a sickly baby, premature birth, or even imminent miscarriage. And there is another thing." Her bandages opened up, revealing a pinkish, translucent organ underneath with a very barely visible pinprick of light nestled in it. "That tiny little fleck of light you see in there is the baby. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to open up for you like this much longer. It's going to be completely sealed over by tight bandages in about three weeks from now. From then on out, you'll have to use ultrasound equipment to look at it. "

She closed herself up once Salli was done looking, lowering her shirt.

"When the ultrasounds come along, don't be worried if you don't see organs anywhere else but in the head. That's where all of our vital organs are. As such, you won't be able to see a physical sex either. Our species does not have one by default. Any organs other than the ones in our heads are just created whenever we need them, most commonly stomachs and reproductive organs, any ones we want at that. Because of this, any two Thep Khufan can become parents regardless of gender. My parents, for example, were actually both male. And strangely, when we're pregnant, we usually get some kind of gut feeling as to what gender the baby will grow up to be somewhere around the halfway mark of the pregnancy. My parents knew that I was female before I was born. It isn't usually wrong, but it can be sometimes."

Ola could only imagine that this must have been a lot of information for the doctor to have to take in.

"Supplements are definitely going to be of more use to Spenst than it will for me. Though eating is a good thing for the baby, my species doesn't actually need to eat. We just eat to enjoy it or for a quick means of recovering energy that isn't sleep. It's entirely possible for my species to get by with only lots of rest during pregnancy. That's all for me, too, I guess."
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:19 pm

Dr. Salli's notes were dedicated, the pen flying across the clipboard with a dedicated fervor as she absorbed Spenst's information. Sunlight will kill, night appointments, dimmed lights during appointments and exams. Especially in the later months. The robot only paused to reach for the lights, twisting the dimmer until the florescent lighting seemed more appropriate and less obtrusive. In the darker room, Salli's optics and blue lighting around her body seemed to shine all the more. Pregnancy will last 9 months for both. Last week of December/first of January, tentative due date. Birth defects for Spenst...questionable. Usual birth defects are considered normal/are safe. Taking notice of the spines along his arms and hands, the Doctor nodded lightly. Spines will be a likely development. Cause for concern for Spenst's baby: issues with vital organs. Absence or growth outside of the body. Keep watch for these defects during development. No food/medicine allergies known. Spenst's kind have low metabolism. During pregnancy, will need more food. Supplements needed. Naturally low body temperature.

As Olabisi began to speak her part, the robotic Doctor shifted to give the female her full attention. "I do not mind, no." Leaning down, she inspected the area of Ola's stomach that was bared, peering through the creases of the bandages to see a faint light emanating through. Like a little lantern! "I see!" Righting herself again, the pen began to move once more. The light inside of Olabisi's bandages must be bright. If it becomes dim, cause for major concern. Surprisingly, the mummy alien opened herself up to reveal the most curious thing. A small shape, translucent and pink! In the center was the very light she'd seen before! The robot's optics seemed to widen, no longer writing for a moment as she merely basked in this odd experience. It seemed...otherworldly. "A-ah...a shame. If you could continue to do that, it would be very useful."

Once the woman had closed up tight, Salli's optics flitted down to her clipboard. Organs are stored in the head. No physical sex will be visible. Olabisi will get gut instinct about the baby's gender during pregnancy. Eating not necessary for Olabisi, but will need lots of rest. With all of the information gathered, she clicked the pen idly as she began to think of how to proceed from here. "Hm...because your pregnancy lasts as long as a human's, I think making our appointments will be easier. From week 4 to 28, you both will need to visit at least once a month. More if you have concerns. From weeks 28 to 36, we will meet twice a month at least. And from week 36 to your birth, we will meet weekly. At these exams, I will check Spenst's blood pressure, check the development of your babies, ultra sounds eventually, and measuring abdomen growth. I would also like to measure both of your heights and weights, if...possible." She gave the long tail Spenst possessed and his...seeming ability to float an awkward glance.

"I should also go over certain concerns with the both of you. Namely...if the world begins to end before either of you have given birth, you are more than welcome to come to the hospital for shelter. I will do the best I can to protect both of you, and your children. While you both are pregnant, you cannot strain yourselves. You must be careful, and you can come to me with any concerns. If you become sick, or feel the need to take any sort of medication, please check with me to make sure it is safe. When we meet again, I will have a prescription of vitamins and supplements for you to take, Spenst." She gave the male alien a small smile. "High-mercury fish, such as tuna, should be eaten sparingly. Low-mercury fish however, are very healthy. Beware of under-cooked meat and fish, limit your caffeine intake, avoid junk food, and thoroughly wash fruit and vegetables before eating them." What else would be important...? Oh, of course! The Doctor looked between the two curiously. "Do you own any pets? Such as a cat?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:20 am