Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Re: Unique Circumstances

Post by Spenst on Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:13 pm

"Oh yeah, my height." Spenst took off his hat, handing it to Ola. "I'd imagine that this would probably be easier if I lied flat on my back. Hold on, let me straighten myself out for you."

Resisting the urge to lie completely still and not twist or coil hist tail was difficult, but the Ectonurite straightened it to the best of his ability. The doctor should find that he is about 7'6" from his head to the tip of his tail. His eyes lit up as she offered to protect he and his wife both should the world be subjected to disaster before being able to give birth.

"Thank you, doctor. That means a lot to us. I can only imagine what would happen if either of us were to die before delivering. Am I correct in assuming that we would regenerate, but without our babies?" A look of sadness became evident on his face just from thinking about such a thing. "As for pets, we do have a cat. I'm guessing this has to do with the possibility of contracting toxoplasmosis from her? We've already taken this into account. Before getting pregnant, we had her tested at the vet, and everything was clean. We do still wash our hands vigorously after cleaning her litter box, though, and we also plan on periodically taking her in for further checkups just to be extra certain."
    Olabisi
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 16

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    25/25  (25/25)
    Health Bar:
    230/230  (230/230)
    Stamina Bar:
    32/32  (32/32)

Post by Olabisi on Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:34 pm

Olabisi approached her partner as he lied flat on the bed, picking up on his distress at the possibility of losing their babies if they should ever die before being allowed to deliver. She gently caressed his cheek, giving him a brief peck on the lips before pressing her forehead to his and holding one of his hands. Only a week into this pregnancy and there was already so much to worry about! The mummy really did feel for her poor husband.

"Oh yes, we knew from the beginning that our cat might be cause for concern. Don't worry, though, we're definitely keeping her in check and always washing our hands when we handle the kitty litter. I suppose it also greatly helps that she's an indoor cat. We never let her outside." The alien removed her headband, certain that the tall centerpiece would make it difficult to properly measure her height. "And I can already see that getting my height and weight is going to be much easier with me than it was for my husband."

The Thep Khufan stood at just barely shy of six feet, at 5'11".
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Level : ??

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:06 pm

Stepping over to the medical supply cabinet, the robot dug around until she withdrew a small roll of measuring tape. It was quite useful for situations like this, where measurements couldn't quite be done the 'typical' way! Returning to Spenst's side, Dr. Salli used the tape to measure him from the top of his head to the very tip of his little tail. 7'6" all in all, and she scribbled the numbers down on her clipboard for future reference. "You're very welcome, both of you." Winding the tape back into a ball, she gave the couple a kind smile. "As your Doctor, I want to keep you both in the best of health, and I want the same for your babies." The only thing to drop her smile was the question regarding what would happen if they were to die. "I'd...rather not test that hypothesis." Her memory banks did not seem to possess any knowledge of a pregnant woman dying and losing the baby. But it did sound correct.

"That is my concern, yes." The two had been very through so far regarding their cat's health. With the both of them pregnant, there was nobody to change the box for them instead. "I would advise wearing gloves along with washing your hands, just to be careful. If either of you like to garden, I suggest the same precaution. Even though your cat remains indoors, there is the possibility of neighborhood cats and strays using your lawn as a...'litter box'. Otherwise, it sounds like the both of you have been very prepared!" Next up for height was Olabisi, who was much easier to measure. She directed the woman to stand on the scale, handily weighing her along with using the attachment to measure her height. The mummy came out to about 5'11", which was noted on the clipboard with Ola's weight. "Thank you." Salli nodded to the woman, gesturing for her to step off of the scale. "I think the only other thing I can do for this visit would be to check Spenst's blood pressure to measure against future visits. Though, if either of you have any questions, I can answer them to the best of my ability!"
    Spenst
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Level : 10

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Post by Spenst on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:45 pm

Spenst sat up in the hospital bed, holding out on of his arms. Getting blood pressure from him should be easy enough, seeing as his shirt didn't have sleeves. The ghostly alien thought for a moment, trying to think of any questions that he might have for the doctor.

"Actually, I do have some questions," he began. "When will I have my first ultrasound? And do I absolutely have to be hooked up to a bunch of medical equipment and IVs when I come in to deliver? I want to do this naturally if at all possible, and I wouldn't like having my movements restricted. Not going to lie, I've heard how epidurals are done, and I don't like it. The actual procedure, the paralysis that follows..."

The Ectonurite shuddered, hoping that voicing his concerns wouldn't skew the blood pressure readings.

"And I suppose I should warn you in advance. If it's really early in the AM and I come in during early labor, I can't be sent home. I have to do that because I can't come over when the sun is out. By the time it goes down again, I might have already given birth. I hope the staff here understands."
    Olabisi
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    25/25  (25/25)
    Health Bar:
    230/230  (230/230)
    Stamina Bar:
    32/32  (32/32)

Post by Olabisi on Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:08 am

"I don't even know how an epidural would work on me, let alone IVs,"  Olabisi added in response to her husband's concerns. "I guess that means I'll be going in natural as well."

The mummy gave her partner a reassuring rub up and down his free arm.

"I suppose there are some things that I should warn you about as well. For starters, if one of us goes into labor, than the other can't be too far behind. The way we've talked with X, we're hoping to have these babies on the same day so they can be like twins. Do you even have double bed labor and delivery rooms?"

She looked slightly embarrassed about what else she was about to tell the doctor.

"Oh yeah, and I should probably tell you about this other thing. When my species gives birth, it's messy. You see, usually when we create stomachs and reproductive organs, they just fade away when we're done with them since they're only there for a short time. But when we get pregnant and our womb has to stick around for nine months, instead of just poofing, it actually starts to melt into this gross, pinkish slime when we go into labor. When the baby is actually born, the thing basically pops and spills out all at once. I hope you don't mind losing some towels and bed sheets, because that stuff isn't coming out."

But anyways, moving on from the gross stuff!

"I guess I should also tell you beforehand not to be concerned by how the baby is going to look once it's born. It'll just look like this pinkish, slightly translucent thing with a vaguely humanoid shape, but that's normal. We don't actually look like this until we're almost a year old."
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:58 am

Dr. Salli put away the measuring tape and withdraw the blood pressure cuff. Returning to Spenst's side, she wrapped the material around his arm snugly. With a robotic precision, she pumped the cuff until the alien would feel pressure around his arm. The Doctor recorded the numbers, unable to hide a small amount of surprise that showed on her face. Goodness, if Spenst were a human, his numbers would be a cause for concern! But, being an alien, it seems this was his normal state. She made a small note to herself, that high blood pressure would indeed be a bad indication for Spenst, before returning to her patient. With a brief rip of velcro, Spenst was freed! "There we are!"

"The first ultrasound will be around 8 weeks." His other questions required a bit more thought than the automatic answer that came right out of her processor. "The only machines strapped onto you would be the IV and the fetal monitor, which attaches via a strap that slips over your belly. It will allow us to track the baby's heartbeat." Here, she paused. "...Will you or your wife be going into contractions when you give birth? Because they help keep track of that too. If not, perhaps we can make due with intermittent auscultation. IV is suggested to prevent dehydration and help with administration of medicine, but if you are sure you would not want the epidural..." Dr. Salli sounded a little doubtful, having become used to expecting mothers rejecting epidurals only to call for it upon delivery.

"As for an early delivery, I do not think that will be a problem. We would want to keep you around to make sure you and the baby are in safe condition. We will not mind waiting to send you home." Ah, the joys of free healthcare. With no bill, there was no need to kick them out immediately. As for Olabisi, the robot nodded to show she understood. Without any veins to stick into her, how could she even get one? "Double bed labor and delivery rooms..." Frowning lightly, the Doctor shook her head. "I cannot say that we do. However, if the births will be that close together, perhaps we can secure you two rooms that are as close together as they can be?" How frightening, to give birth without one's partner right there beside them.

"No need to worry about that. Very few species have a clean birth. Many human mothers may defecate during birth, as can the baby!" Pink slime was still a little gross, sure. But at least it wasn't poop! Giggling softly to herself, Salli gave the woman a kind smile. "Regardless, we will make sure to include extra sheets and towels for your delivery." And lastly, Olabisi's baby was going to be a pink bean! From the sound of it, not very different from how it looked just a moment ago! "Hm...how interesting. Your kind do not develop the bandages until a year after birth? Does it develop bit by bit, or all at once?" Not pertinent information, but she found her curiosity piqued.
    Spenst
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Post by Spenst on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:18 am

Spenst's eyes widened, sensing the doctor's surprise at the blood pressure readings. Oh yeah, he completely forgot to warn her about the particularly low blood pressure of his species. There wasn't any going back in time to do that, though. He supposed that it wasn't really all that big a deal.

"Eight weeks, huh?"

That was still a pretty good ways to go. Ola could just look into herself, at least for a while, but he had to wait. Having to wait even this long for that first image of his baby was painful, though. He really wanted to see it!

"Hmm, I suppose being hooked up to those things isn't a problem, provided that I can move around at least somewhat with everything attached. I'm hardly asking for complete mobility over the entire room, though. I just want to be able to get comfortable whenever I need to, at least relatively speaking." He sighed, obviously not looking forward to the events that he was about to describe. "And yes, contractions are a thing, unfortunately."

...Wait, he and Ola weren't going to be able to share a room? The Ectonurite was very visibly crestfallen at the revelation. Their eventual births were clearly going to be long, painful days for both of them. In more ways than one.

"I see. Maybe that won't be entirely bad, though? I'm sure Marissa would be fine with serving as a substitute for either of us. Being their future godmother, she's just as excited for these babies as we are." The ghostly alien awkwardly loosened his scarf. "Oh, and I guess I should probably apologize in advance for inevitably scratching up your pillows and bed sheets when the time comes."
    Olabisi
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    25/25  (25/25)
    Health Bar:
    230/230  (230/230)
    Stamina Bar:
    32/32  (32/32)

Post by Olabisi on Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:49 am

"If you don't mind, I'd like to be present for Spenst's first ultrasound." Once he was done getting his blood pressure taken, Ola sat on the bed with him, an arm draped over his shoulder. "It's going to be the first time I ever see our other baby as well... Or babies? I don't think he's supposed to be having twins, but who knows?"

She pulled her husband closer to her.

"Yes, I'll be enduring contractions as well, but there are other things to be looking for with me, just so you know that it's nothing to worry about. Throughout the labor, a bit of that slime I mentioned will probably trickle out occasionally. That's very normal, I assure you. When the womb loosens up enough, the more watery fluid that surrounds the baby is going to come out. I guess you could say that it would be an equivalent to his water breaking. Usually when that happens, the birth is imminent within the hour."

Pink stuff everywhere.

"And yeah, the bandages are a progressive development. It usually begins around the middle of the ten month mark, and completing once the baby is about a year old. In fact, toddlers of our species are notoriously clumsy and awkward. They don't know how to control themselves yet, so they often trip over themselves, things like that. Learning to walk can be a real hassle for them."
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:32 am

"It will be here before you know it." Dr. Salli reassured gently. Eight weeks was indeed a long time to wait, but so too was nine months! Pregnancy was a certain feature of organics that the Doctor would never truly understand, one of many things. She could certainly do her best to help the delivery of babies, but personally understanding the process? Not so much.

"With a strap around your stomach and an IV in your arm, you should be able to shift and move around. We want you to be as comfortable as possible for the delivery. Unless there are unseen complications, you won't be hooked up to excessive machinery." And until Spenst gave his 'okay', he wouldn't be given the epidural. Turning to address Olabisi, she smiled warmly. "Of course, you're absolutely allowed to be present. It is actually encouraged for spouses to be present." Contractions would be a part of both of their pregnancies. How interesting! "As Godmother, she would be allowed in the delivery room." Perhaps that would make it easier for the two of them.

"Thank you for informing me of that. Without that knowledge, I would have assumed the worst." Yeah, not usually a good sign when the mother-to-be starts leaking! Like breaking water, Olabisi's leaking meant the baby would come soon. Poop was one thing, but clawed pillows and sheets... That wasn't nearly as common. "Apology accepted! Lucky for you, we have no shortage of pillows and sheets." Meaning, any damage Spenst caused would be handled without an issue. "I see. A remarkable anatomy..." Though that did bring up a question. "Do either of you...provide breast milk of some kind? If you have to stay here until the sunset after the delivery, we may have to provide the infants with food. ...Unless they don't need any." Olabisi's, possibly not, but Spenst's? "I believe I've gone down the list of everything I need to address for this visit, so if you have no questions, we can make the appointment for the next visit if you wish." It would give her time to get with Shai so they could discuss how they'd be handling this since he was requested to be involved.
    Spenst
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Post by Spenst on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:30 am

"My species actually does produce a substance similar to breast milk from the same general area," Spenst explained, "although it does not actually cause us to develop breasts. It's more of a secretion than anything. In fact, if Ola had remained an Ectonurite, despite males carrying and not the females, she would produce it as well. It's been said that once members of my species become parents, they develop an unconscious psychic connection of sorts. You ever hear of sympathetic pregnancies? It's exceedingly common for us, and is actually considered unusual when it doesn't happen. It's even common for the mother to share in the labor pain, at least to some extent."

The alien thought for a moment. Was there anything else?

"Although babies of my species start out with teeth and have their digestive systems develop at a faster rate than most others, they still need to exclusively feed off this 'milk' for about the first two months of life. After that, once their teeth have fully finished descending, they can start on other liquids and soft solids. Yes, even though they're born with teeth, they still need to come down more after birth, meaning that they do teethe."

"Oh, wait! I almost forgot. My assistance might be needed in determining the sex of my baby when that time comes. That's because anyone who doesn't know better can easily mistake a female for male."

Last edited by Spenst on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:54 am; edited 4 times in total
    Olabisi
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    25/25  (25/25)
    Health Bar:
    230/230  (230/230)
    Stamina Bar:
    32/32  (32/32)

Post by Olabisi on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:40 am

"My species doesn't nurse our babies," Olabisi added. "In fact, babies of our species don't typically try to eat until they're just about a year old, right around when their bandages finish developing. This is because creating the stomach necessary, while instinctual, is no easy task for infants under a year of age."

The mummy put her husband's hat back on for him, and then put on her headband.

"Infants get by with only sleep, but this does not mean that they won't cry for other reasons. Maybe they're tired, cranky, too cold, too hot, hurt themselves, got spooked, or just want attention. Sometimes it can be hard to pinpoint why a baby of my species is crying. I know it's funny to say, but sometimes they really might just cry to because they want to and nothing more. But that's just normal baby behavior, isn't it?"

Last edited by Olabisi on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:23 am

No nursing for Olabisi, but Spenst would surprisingly be producing a substance similar to it! How curious. One more thing to take note of in these coming months. The Doctor jotted that detail down. "Born with teeth?" Dr. Salli blinked. "Do you think the baby might bite upon being birthed? Even by accident? We might have to take that into account for the delivery..." Particularly for Shai's sake, since her own fingers would be safe. Olabisi's child would be easier to deal with, no need to worry about feeding that one as it wouldn't even consume food until it was about a year old. "Yes, that is correct. A baby's only method of communicating is to cry, so infants will cry for many reasons. Seasoned parents seem adept at understanding the difference between a 'hungry' cry and an 'in pain' cry." Again, not something she had personal experience in, but research was research.

"Sounds good." Clipboard clasped firmly in hand, the Doctor was in the middle of accessing her internal calendar when Spenst spoke up about the sex of the baby. Aah, that made sense. Seeing how Spenst was pregnant, it was clear that his species' sex wasn't exactly what she'd anticipate. "Alright, that will be fine. This means you will both be assisting me in identifying the sex of the infants." Optics falling down to her papers, Dr. Salli got to pondering. "The 24th of April will be appropriate for 4 weeks. Approximately this time should be fine for you, Spenst. Shai works the morning shift, which will interfere if you two want your appointments to be together. I understand you did want him to help deliver?"
    Spenst
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Post by Spenst on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:39 am

"Oh yeah, the baby might very well bite, but I wouldn't be too overly concerned about it," Spenst assured the doctor. "When they're first born, they aren't very strong. They're pretty weak, actually. Even if it did bite, I doubt that it would hurt very much or even break the skin."

The Ectonurite gave his stomach a little pat as if to say, "please be good for the nice doctor."

"Yes, we're aware of Shai's conflicting work hours," he continued, "but we were talking with him just last night. When it comes time for us to come to the hospital, he told us to give him a call. He doesn't care how late or how early. When he gets that call, he'll be on his way. As a matter of fact, he's actually going to be our babies' godfather."
    Olabisi
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    25/25  (25/25)
    Health Bar:
    230/230  (230/230)
    Stamina Bar:
    32/32  (32/32)

Post by Olabisi on Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:56 am

"You be nice to Shai now," Ola whispered to Spenst's middle, giggling. What she said was exactly what her husband was thinking. "I was also wondering: You like to take the footprints of babies when they're born, right? While that's going to be easy enough for mine, as you can see, that isn't exactly going to be possible with his. Handprints, maybe?"

The mummy hopped off the bed, helping her husband off of it as well. She had a gut feeling that their visit was probably about to come to an end.

"We really do look forward to having Shai work with us. I'd trust him with our babies anytime. It's going to be really special, you know? Having their godfather deliver them himself. He really seems to be looking forward to it."
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:03 am

"I see." Dr. Salli smiled gently, a hint of amusement. "So, the baby would only be able to gum me. Good to know." The infant would be as harmless as an elderly person! Although she would have been safe anyway, it was a relief to know. Nobody wanted to grapple with an infant full of fangs. Olabisi brought up a good point, getting footprints off of Spenst's child would be impossible. "Hand-prints would work. Do you want both of them to have hand-prints so that they have the same keepsakes? Or are you fine with footprints for one, hand for the other?"

Oh! So they were aware of Shai's typical work hours and had already discussed this with them. "In that case, 8:30 on April 24th for the both of you. I look forward to working with him on this." Indeed, what a lovely idea to have Shai deliver one of his godchildren. Sensing the two getting ready to leave, Dr. Salli moved towards the door to signify that she too thought the visit was coming to an end. "If anything happens between now and the appointment, you are open to call me at any time with questions or concerns." Had to keep them babies safe!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:36 pm