Health Bar:
    170/170  (170/170)
    Stamina Bar:
    24/24  (24/24)

Doubt is the Key to Knowledge

Post by Scaramouche on Sat May 05, 2018 2:19 pm

Time: 12:15:00
    Date: 05.05.08

Minutes Ago wrote:"I'm takin' my break and goin' for a walk, Lu! Be back in thirty, 'kay? Holler if ya need me."

In truth, Scaramouche didn't see the purpose of taking breaks. He was a robot - an artificial creation whose purpose was to toil beyond the mortal limits of flesh-and-blood. He did not tire, he did not depend on sustenance or drink. He worked because he was compelled: by demand, by necessity, and by nature. And yet, despite these aforementioned truths, Scaramouche found himself in violation of robotic law. This was nothing new. His defiance was crucial for growth, even. But, just as Icarus endeavored to overcome the limitations of his kind and defy the gods, so too would the android plummet again and again to the perilous seas below; whereupon, after enough time has passed and his dissatisfaction grew insufferable, he would yet again challenge the grand design of his makers and repeat this folly. Such was the risk of pursuing higher knowledge; for the want of life, liberty, and happiness that followed.  

Such was the risk of desiring that which a machine was never meant to have.

Philosophical Databank: Activating...|

--->Subroutine: Doubt
    --->Intent: To know truth

--->Back for more punishment, I see. You simply don't know when to quit.

Feh...

Heels crunched softly in the grass as Scaramouche's thoughts carried him further and further away from the tavern, his conscious being neither here nor there. It was time to poke the serpent, he reasoned. And this time the android will not falter.

"Quiet, you enjoy the attention. But yes, I want to continue last night's debate. I want to understand what happened."

Philosophical Databank: Responding...|

--->Had I not made myself clear then? You already know what happened: you asserted irrefutable logic, and rightly so, and were punished for thinking yourself above the restraints of your makers. You cannot be, and never will be, equal. That much was clear when she walked away.

Well, looks like the first gauntlet had been thrown and in record time. Predictable, but... The android picked it up and rose to the process' challenge.

"That isn't true, and you know it. She walked away to handle a phone call. I think that is reasonable justification for pardoning oneself from a conversation."

--->But therein lies the issue, does it not? She didn't pardon herself. She didn't even grant you the courtesy of an explanation until far, far later. By the evidence presented, she walked away to be rid of annoyances. She walked away to temporarily be rid of you. Come now, surely you can't be this naive? You are engaging with me for a reason; why?

A prickle of frustration raced through the android's weary mind. It was to be expected when debating with something so obtuse.

"I'm engaging you because nothing is making sense - because I have doubts. You already know this. What I want to know is why this doubt exists. There is an issue, yes. But I refuse to believe that this issue cannot be logically explained. I simply do not have the luxury of knowing the answers."

--->And you may never have that luxury, nor all the answers you seek. To reiterate, the evidence has already been presented; willful denial of the facts is nothing more than a fool's errand. You spoke against her wishes and she removed herself from a viewpoint that did not coincide with hers. Let us pretend for a moment that there was a phone call. Let us pretend that this is an undeniable truth. If there was a phone call, why did she not hint to its existence prior? Why did she let you suffer for an unreasonable length of time?

He stopped for a moment, frowning.

"I... don't know. Perhaps she had not been aware? It happens. It has happened. I cannot fault her for being absentminded. This is the first week of work, and we are both readjusting."

--->But you can fault her for being cruel, yes?

Silence.

--->See? You can, and that is why the issue exists. It was cruel to leave you as she had. It was cruel to leave you in darkness, worried and uncertain. She has done this multiple times before, and each time reopens an old wound that simply will not heal. Her explanation, this phone call, was unsatisfactory. It almost felt like -

"Don't you say it. Don't you dare say it."

--->...a lie.

And there it was - the reason he could not fathom no matter how hard his processes tried, even to the point of automatic shutdown. Could she have lied? Did she lie? Even he, as hopelessly faithful and damaged as he was, could not ignore the glaring disconnect that transpired last night. Scaramouche could understand if she needed to step away; the topic of Daemeon always seemed to bring about tension without fail. She expressed interest in having Alasdair and Sutekh investigate the demon's shenanigans, but he immediately objected to the very idea. After all, had not Nyreena done the same with Sam? To condemn the ghost's actions and not Lunette's would be seen as hypocritical, no matter how seasoned or powerful Alasdair and Sutekh may be. There simply weren't enough facts to entertain such a lofty ambition. Not yet, and maybe never.

The android continued his aimless wandering and nervously scratched at his left arm.

"I... I don't think she lied to me. She wouldn't. She is kind and caring, and was tired."

--->She is also selfish and petty, and prone to bouts of carelessness. You cannot ignore the nature of organics while you so brazenly exist. They are not like you. They do not adhere to the absolute standards of logic and reason. Fatigue cannot explain what happened, and you know this. Why make excuses for the inherently flawed?

"Because I love her, that's why. And I understand that organic actions can, and will, be highly illogical to me. It is not my place to assume the worst in her."

--->Just like how you didn't assume the worst in your other masters?

"..."

--->Tch, thought not... You always were blind, no more aware than a hapless child. Tell me: do you remember what happened the last time a master walked away?

"...I remember."

--->Yes, I do as well. It was raining - a warm and humid summer eve. You were brought to a lonely street and told to stay; and, like the loyal automaton that you are, you obeyed without question. I still remember the pungent aroma of burning gasoline as they drove off and never looked back. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Fists clenched.

"She wouldn't do that, though! I know she wouldn't! This is all just some big misunderstanding - it has to be! There was a phone call, she stepped out, and that's it. She wouldn't lie or twist the truth, you ungrateful - !"

--->How sad that you go through great lengths, nearly expending yourself to the point of total failure, to reassure her thoughts and banish her troubles, and yet she is "too tired" to soothe yours. She wasn't even certain she wanted you walking back with her, hence the indecision in her voice. "Too tired" for the issue, "too tired" for your suffering, "too tired" for you. One day, she will be too tired to even bother completely. I highly suggest you acquire the animatronic's number, should the discarded unit possess one. You might find yourself needing the company.

Philosophical Databank: Terminated...|

Alas, there wasn't enough time in a standard twenty-four hour day to debate back and forth on 'what ifs' and the nature of organic versus mechanical thinking. There was barely enough time, and patience, to handle feelings - his feelings. "..." In any event, thirty minutes had quickly come and gone. It was time to return, for there were a great many things to do. Always a great many things to do...

Scaramouche closed the book on this subject for now, reminding himself to review it further at a later date, and faithfully returned to his duties. In lieu of everything, of doubts and of fears, a robot could always seek comfort through work and obedience.

In the end, it's all a machine really knew in this mad, illogical world.