Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

The First Glimpse

Post by Spenst on 5/22/2018, 12:30

DATE: MAY 22ND, 2018
    TIME: APPROX. 8:30 PM

This was the night that Spenst had looked forward to for quite sometime. He greatly anticipated it ever since the appointment was first set up. The ghostly alien definitely knew what was going to be done tonight, but he still managed to find himself in a state of complete and utter disbelief. But why was he so nervous, though? He really should be happy right now!

Oh yeah, that was right. It was the ever-lingering possibility of something being wrong that made the Ectonurite's stomach twist into a knot. Was it really healthy of him to be going into this expecting the worst, though? It almost certainly couldn't be, right?

And there was that all too familiar nausea again, although it was a distinct possibility at this point that it could actually be his nerves getting the better of him rather than the usual morning sickness. The alien specter patted his belly, hoping to calm his upset stomach. Thankfully, the offending organ was appeased, if only a little. He was definitely grateful for that. It would be really embarrassing if he were to find himself getting sick in the exam room.

Spenst sighed as he and his wife approached the hospital doors.

"Ola, I can't breathe," he confided.
    Olabisi
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Level : 16

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    25/25  (25/25)
    Health Bar:
    230/230  (230/230)
    Stamina Bar:
    32/32  (32/32)

Re: The First Glimpse

Post by Olabisi on 5/22/2018, 12:39

"What?" If the mummy had eyebrows, one of them would definitely have raised right about now. "Spenst, love, don't be silly. You don't even need to breathe. Everything will be just fine, I promise!"

Could she really make a promise here, though? Even though she did do a good job hiding it for her husband's sake, Olabisi had some of the same worries as him. As sick as he sometimes was recently, it really did make her wonder. She really didn't know with absolute certainty if the baby that he was carrying was truly alright or not. The only way they were going to know for sure is if they could see it, and that was exactly what they were there to do.

"Come on, we've been waiting for this moment for two months now. I'm dying to see as well!" Locking arms with her partner for added assurance, they approached the front counter. She patted his arm before speaking with the person positioned there. "Hey there, it's Olabisi and Spenst. We're here for an appointment."
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Level : ??

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on 5/28/2018, 00:52

By now, the appearance of the twice-over pregnant couple had become routine for Nurse Floyd. He had to hand it to them, they were always on-time for these appointments with SALLI. As the doors opened up and the couple came walking in, the nurse lifted his gave from paperwork and up to their faces. The wife seemed pretty confident, excited too. The husband, however, looked as if he was close to fainting. "Hey! Today's the big day, huh?" The man grinned, leafing through the paperwork to find the list of appointments for the day. A-yep, there they were. Olabisi and Spenst, ultrasound and check-up. "Time really flies, doesn't it? Feels like yesterday that you two came in for your first visit." Rising up from the desk, Floyd briefly stretched his spine until it cracked. "Mm...! Alright, I'm ready."

Waving for them to follow, the Nurse lead the way through the swinging doors and deeper into the ground floor. Signs signaled their approach into the maternity ward, passing by a couple other pregnant citizens of varying species. "Looking good, Gladys! That melon's about to pop any day!" The human greeted as they went, smiling at an anthro possum woman who giggled shyly. With one last tipping of an imaginary hat, Floyd found an unoccupied room and opened it for Spenst and Ola. Within they would find a comfortable a spacious room, with a couple of comfy chairs along the wall. Along the other side of the wall was a hospital bed and a sturdy chair for the Doctor to sit in. And next to that was the ultrasound equipment and monitor. Along the walls were several diagrams of fetuses in development, from a normal human baby to a bird person incubating within an egg! "SALLI will be with you two shortly, just take a load off and relax." Floyd made to leave but hesitated, glancing over the pregnant people before him. "Do either of you need water? That's important for pregnant people, right?"
    Spenst
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Level : 10

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Post by Spenst on 5/28/2018, 09:09

"I know, right?" Spenst agreed, a tinge of nervousness still evident in his voice. "This particular day felt like it went by unbearably slowly, though. Almost annoyingly so. Guess I'm just anxious and overthinking everything. Admittedly, I've been doing that a lot in the days leading up to this."

His wife actually had to stop him for a moment before following Floyd. The ghostly alien's antsiness almost made him bolt ahead of her. She patted him on the arm again in silent assurance that everything was going to be just fine. It helped him to see all the happy faces around them in the maternity ward. He could only assume that those first few months must be the hardest in terms of worrying if the baby would be okay.

"Yes, some water would be wonderful. Thank you."

Water usually did wonders to help calm his nerves and quell the nausea, after all. Curiosity quickly got the better of the Ectonurite as his attention drifted to the posters in the room. He was especially interested in the one depicting a chick in an egg.
    Olabisi
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    25/25  (25/25)
    Health Bar:
    230/230  (230/230)
    Stamina Bar:
    32/32  (32/32)

Post by Olabisi on 5/28/2018, 09:19

"Aww, isn't that sweet?" Olabisi giddily whispered to her partner as the cute possum lady passed them by, gently nudging him. Clearly she was very far along. "You know, that's gonna be us eventually~ Won't that be something?"

Idly, the Thep Khufan wondered about maternity wear. Although it would probably look good on her, she worried for Spenst, seeing as almost all of it around here, of course, is made with women in mind. Back home, this wouldn't have been an issue. Maybe she'd have to look into making some clothes for him herself? Not that it would be a problem at all.

"Sure, why not?" she responded in regards to the offer of water. "Thanks~"

The mummy giggled as she watched her husband inspect the egg poster.

"I can only imagine why you're drawn to that one," she teased him playfully.
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on 5/29/2018, 16:37

"Isn't that the truth. You got something you're really looking forward to and the day suddenly comes to a crawl!" It was like that for special surprises, movies somebody was looking forward to, or babies in this case! It made the human very relieved that he was a guy. One pump and his job was done! No 9 month wait here! Not that Floyd was looking forward to having kids or anything. Babies were cute, but not in the game plan for good old Nurse Floyd. "Don't worry too much. I bet your kids will be fine!" At least as fine as an alien baby with the chance to come out looking pretty weird could be.

"Alright, alright~ You've got it!" Proud of himself for remembering how essential water was, the nurse stepped out of the room with a happy swish in his hips. He didn't have to go very far, as there was a water cooler set up in the Maternity Ward. With a flick of his finger, Floyd allowed the cardboard cups to fill with the cool drink. As he shuffled his way back to the door, careful not to spill the water, the man spied Dr. SALLI coming up the hall. "SALLI! Mind getting the door for me? I kinda have my hands full..." His shoulders hiked up, a goofy smile on his face as he nudged his head towards the door.

"I assume that is for the parents-to-be?" Short-sighted on his part, but alas. Dr. SALLI reached forward and turned the knob for him. The nurse smiled his thanks and stepped on through, the doctor not far behind. "Good evening Spenst, Olabisi. I bet you two are excited." The robot smiled at the parents as Floyd offered the water to each of them. He stepped out quickly, leaving the doctor with her patients. As soon as he was gone, she reached for the light switch and dimmed the lighting in the room for Spenst's sake. "Before we get started, are there any concerns or worries that either of you have?"
    Spenst
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Post by Spenst on 5/29/2018, 17:42

"Haha, yeah." Spenst laughed nervously. "Excited is one word for it, I guess. Anxious would probably be more accurate, though. From what I've heard, most miscarriages occur in the first trimester, and we still have another month or so before we're out of those woods."

The Ectonurite rubbed his eyes, blinking as the lights in the room were dimmed. By now, he was no longer squinting.

"Much better! Thanks for that. I really do appreciate it." He sighed, ready to vent his concerns to the doctor. "I have been experiencing random illness lately. I'm guessing that would be the morning sickness? It only really happens when I'm exposed to certain strong smells, though, and I can usually resist the urge to vomit. There was an incident at work recently where I was unable to suppress the urge, though. Pretty embarrassing, but at least I made it to the restroom and didn't miss the toilet."

The ghostly alien pouted.

"And I've always loved pickles, but now I can't stand the smell of them. I have to turn my head away when I open the jar, because I still can eat them as long as I don't smell them. It's still really frustrating, though." His pouty expression turned into a frown. "I know morning sickness is a normal thing, but I do worry if this is the baby's way of protesting what I eat, or if it really is trying to tell me that something's wrong."

Last edited by Spenst on 5/29/2018, 18:01; edited 1 time in total
    Olabisi
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    25/25  (25/25)
    Health Bar:
    230/230  (230/230)
    Stamina Bar:
    32/32  (32/32)

Post by Olabisi on 5/29/2018, 17:55

"I feel kinda bad, you know?" Olabisi confessed. "Just as I predicted, he's having much more of an issue with morning sickness than I am. The fullest extent of my problems so far has just been random headaches and occasional nausea when eating, and even then it isn't bad. I can keep everything down, and strong smells only seem to bother me a bit if I've eaten recently. Makes me feel like I've given him the short end of the stick."

The mummy pulled her husband into a sympathetic hug.

"I just really hate to see him suffer." She thought for a moment. "Speaking of which, I don't mind going second with the ultrasounds. As you can probably tell, he's been really nervous about his. I think it would help him out a good bit to get it out of the way as soon as possible."
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on 5/30/2018, 12:24

Ooh, miscarriage. The worry for all new parents, and what might as well have been a 'bad word' in the maternity ward. It had to be extremely scary considering the unique nature of these pair of babies. "As long as you're attentive and know your body, I think you'll be okay. Don't be afraid to call us if you have concerns or if you think something's wrong! Better to be safe than sorry, right?" It was a matter of avoiding dangerous situations, keeping a balanced diet, and reducing stress on the baby! And if they were called over a false alarm, it wasn't like the staff would hold it against Spenst. The nurse gave the father-to-be a reassuring smile before he disappeared.

"You're very welcome, Spenst." SALLI responded politely. She made a brief note to herself on the clipboard: dim the lights before Spenst entered and make sure Floyd knew which room had the pre-dimmed lights. "Aah, morning sickness. The timing is definitely about right on that." A very common complaint among expecting mothers. "Am I correct in assuming that these certain smells tend to be food while it is being cooked? Many people who experience morning sickness cite cooked meat as one of the smells most likely to make them nauseous." The pickles were a bit strange, but with such a strong vinegary scent, it checked out.

"It is actually neither. While you are pregnant, certain senses become heightened. Smell is definitely one of them. Certain things may smell extremely nice during this time for you, and yet others will smell awful and sickening. This should start to recede during the second trimester." Taking Olabisi's concern for her husband into account, the doctor tapped her pen as she began to think up advice. Even though this problem would eventually fade, it was obviously rather stressful presently. "Your job seems to be a big trigger for your sickness. You should talk to your boss about changing things up. If you aren't near cooked food, you should be fine. Perhaps they can find a different position for you to fill there that won't make you feel so nauseous." Here, SALLI turned to regard Olabisi. "Since you don't seem bothered by the smells as much as Spenst is, perhaps you can handle cooking meals for him?" Might as well use her advantage to help them both!

Regarding Spenst once again, the robot offered him a kind smile. "It would also be a good idea to stick with unscented dish soap, body wash, laundry detergents, and the like. Over the next few weeks, you might find overly scented toiletries to also set off your nausea. Nibbling crackers and sipping ginger ale should help you keep nausea at bay. You should also try and find lighter scents. Lemon and mint in particular have been said to help ease nausea while still having an appealing smell that won't overpower you." It could be different for the alien, of course, but it was somewhere to start. Olabisi volunteered to go second, and it seems the two were antsy to get their ultrasounds. "Whenever you are ready, Spenst." Admittedly, the doctor was just as interested as the expecting parents. This was a big moment, indeed!
    Spenst
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Post by Spenst on 5/30/2018, 13:36

"Oh yes, the smell of cooking food is almost completely unavoidable at my usual position. I typically work the register at the concession stand," Spenst confirmed. "I can only imagine that the type of food being cooked isn't exactly helping my situation either. It's your normal, greasy theater fare. Popcorn, pizza, hot dogs, burgers, nachos, you name it. I had a hint that this might be a problem shortly before the incident. Some friends were cooking out and I didn't like the smell of the hot dogs. Had to pick something other than the hot dogs because of it."

The expectant father's eyes lit up when he heard that the sickness was definitely not a real indication of anything going wrong with the baby. He put a hand to his chest, exhaling a long sigh of relief.

"I'm sorry, do excuse me. You just have no idea how much of a relief that is to me," he apologized. The alien nodded as the doctor affirmed that his job was a clear trigger for his illness. "Marissa's been looking into some possible solutions for me. Even if we can't work around it all too much, though, it's still good to know that there's just one more month of this. Hopefully, at least. Knock Out will be glad to hear that, I'm sure."

He continued to nod as the robot suggested unscented cleaning alternatives. A quick glance at his wife revealed her to be making notes on her phone. That would almost certainly come in handy later! He smiled as the big moment finally arrived.

"I'm ready."
    Olabisi
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    25/25  (25/25)
    Health Bar:
    230/230  (230/230)
    Stamina Bar:
    32/32  (32/32)

Post by Olabisi on 5/30/2018, 13:45

Olabisi giggled briefly.

"I've actually taken to wrapping bandages around his nose whenever we cook," she admitted. "It's hardly what you'd call fashionable, but hey, what can you do? Function is often more important than form, and it definitely shows here. It works, at least most of the time. The only downside is that we can't really do it in public without getting weird looks. In that circumstance, we usually just request one of the seats furthest from the kitchen."

There were a few more ticks on the mummy's phone before she put the device away.

"Alright, got it! Thanks for the info." She locked arms with her ghostly partner, super giddy for what was about to come. "Eeee~"
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on 5/31/2018, 12:56

Oof, greasy theater food. "From what I've heard from other pregnant parents, the smell of cooking grease and oil makes one especially nauseous. I would definitely see if you can be moved out of the concession stand area." Both for Spenst's sake and the sake of the customers. When he excused himself after a heavy sigh, the doctor waved her hand lightly. "No need to excuse yourself, that's what I'm here for! Any worries or concerns are to be considered seriously. I'm glad to put your mind at ease." One more month, should Spenst be lucky! "I hope that you are able to figure something out." SALLI couldn't help a soft smile as Olabisi took dutiful notes. It was good to see them both take this very seriously and work on it together. As for the father-to-be's need to cover his nose in public... Hrm. Guess there wasn't really a 'natural' way to cover it without getting loads of odd looks. "The bandage is functional enough. Getting a seat away from the kitchen is a good idea."

With those concerns out of the way, it was time for the main event. Setting her clipboard down so it was out of the way, Dr. SALLI made her way to the rolling chair and settled down into it. Immediately, the doctor reached for the probe and began to prepare it. The probe cover came with the gel already inside, making it easier for SALLI to slide it over the probe. With one hand wrapped firmly around it, the robot pushed any gel that slide down back onto the tip of the wand. A rubber band was slid over the length, snapping into place. SALLI set it aside, motioning for her patient to come over. She assisted when needed to help him get comfortably onto the bed. SALLI reached inside of the bed's compartment area, pulling out a thin white drape made of a soft material, and a wedge. She held the soft pillow up for him to see, looking sheepish. "Protocol usually calls for me to use stirrups but...this would be the next best thing." For obvious reasons, as bright blue optics briefly glanced at Spenst's long tail.

The gynoid helped him to get comfortable, sliding the wedge underneath his hips and allowing the length of his tail to drape over the edge of the bed comfortably. The fabric was laid across his abdomen for privacy's sake, and it seems they were about to begin. Grabbing up the probe, SALLI squeezed sterile gel onto the very tip of it before moving it into place. Spenst would feel a slight pressure, but no pain. The picture on the monitor was quite fuzzy as the doctor made adjustments, lightly turning the wand. Eventually, they could see it; a round area of black within the static. And laying in there was their fetus. It resembled its daddy, owning a little tail that wriggled lightly. The arms were nubby, and the head seemingly over-sized. SALLI tapped a few buttons on the monitor, zooming in for the parents to see their child more easily.

"There they are..." One of SALLI's fingers traced the screen, moving down the fetus' 'spine'. "A tail, a head, the beginnings of two arms. Looks like you've only got one baby in there, Spenst! But they look healthy. No organs missing or growing outside of the body. And there's a strong heartbeat." Indeed, both parents would be able to see their child's heart flickering and moving on the screen.
    Spenst
    Gigabyte

Gigabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    0/0  (0/0)
    Health Bar:
    150/150  (150/150)
    Stamina Bar:
    20/20  (20/20)

Post by Spenst on 5/31/2018, 13:50

"Yeah, Ola's bandages are extremely durable, much more multipurpose than anyone would likely expect. You'd be surprised just how many things they've managed to come in handy for." Spenst gave his wife an appreciative kiss on the cheek. "But of course we'd never use them for toilet paper. That's the one thing that's truly out of the question."

The mummy gave him a playful smack on the shoulder at that joke. Clearly she found it at least a tiny bit funny, though, if her giggling was any indication. It really was great that she had such a good sense of humor, probably a big contributor to her and Marissa getting along so well. They were always cutting up with each other.

Despite the mental preparations, the expectant father still felt a pang of nervousness returning at the sight of the medical equipment. The butterflies in his stomach made their retreat as Ola caressed his hand in reassurance, though. The both of them really were in this together.

"It's not a problem. I understand," the Ectonurite responded as the doctor got out the wedge. "Kind of making me start to wonder about birth positions, though. I think we typically lay on our side? Gosh, I really wish my father was here. I could have asked him all of these questions, and he would've had all the answers."

Spenst couldn't help but wince a bit as everything was put into place. His wife, of course, continued to hold his hand to keep him calm. The fuzzy display was a bit concerning at first, but before long, he could feel his eyes widen as everything came into focus. There was definitely a baby in there, and it was apparently a very healthy baby as well.

"Ola, I can't believe it. That's our baby," the ghostly alien blubbered, tears falling down his cheeks. It took about a minute or two before he was composed enough to say anything else. "Just wait until the later months. Once that tail gets longer, they'll be moving it all the time."
    Olabisi
    Terabyte

Terabyte

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    25/25  (25/25)
    Health Bar:
    230/230  (230/230)
    Stamina Bar:
    32/32  (32/32)

Post by Olabisi on 5/31/2018, 14:12

"Still on the whole toilet paper thing, are we?" Olabisi snickered, gently and playfully hitting her husband on his spiny shoulder. "I have to admit, though, it is actually pretty funny. Sort of funny, at least."

The mummy's teasing tone quickly faded when she realized that Spenst was starting to get nervous again. Clearly this was no time for her to be joking around anymore. She needed to be in full support mode now!

"You want me to hold your hand?" the Thep Khufan asked. Once she had the go-ahead, she did just that. "You'll be just fine, big guy. And think about it: In a few minutes, we'll be seeing our precious baby~"

And see it they did! The bandaged alien found herself just as mesmerized by that first image of their child as her ghostly husband. She might actually find herself crying as well.

"Yes it is, love! Aren't they amazing?" she gushed. "They're not even born yet and they're already adorable! Do you mind if I take a picture with my phone?"

No doubt, she was definitely going to send those pictures right to Marissa.
    Dr. SALLI
    Non-Player Character

Non-Player Character

Character Sheet
    Defense Bar:
    500/500  (500/500)
    Health Bar:
    1000/1000  (1000/1000)
    Stamina Bar:
    2000/2000  (2000/2000)

Post by Dr. SALLI on 6/1/2018, 17:00

Dr. SALLI didn't seem to understand Spenst's joke about using Olabisi's bandages as toilet paper, if the blank look on her face was any indication. It seemed obvious to her that he wouldn't use part of his wife's anatomy to wipe himself free of waste. Without the context of the wedding, it was just an odd statement to the robot. She didn't comment on it and instead went about her job. Situating the wedge beneath him, the alien brought up a good point about birthing positions. "If you lay on your side to deliver, I think we will be able to make that work. I'd hate to have your tail just hang over the side of the bed for hours, though. We will find a way to make you most comfortable while you deliver your child, Spenst."

With his wife holding her hand, both of the parents got their first look at one of their babies. The sight made them both tear up, hardly a first in this room. SALLI was tempted to agree about their baby already looking adorable, though! That tail was really quite charming and sweet. "Of course, go right ahead." She answered Olabisi with a soft smile. "I can also print out pictures of this ultrasound for you." Her free hand tapped the keys of the ultrasound monitor, taking notes on how big the fetus was and recording the heart rate.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is 12/13/2018, 16:35